Have a sick SH

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke this morning to a very unhappy SH.After researching it syptoms that are it is swimming tail up and seems over bouyant i came to the conclusion that it has external gas bubbles but i have looked all over it and can find none nor is it bloated to suggest internal gas bubbles,i am waiting for LFS to open and thought i would ask you guys for help and any suggestions you might have

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it male or female?

If male I believe there is a method to evacuate air from the pouch. Unfortunately for females I think its a much worse situation.

Here's a link to ocean rider, i think it will help if you need a primer on Seahorse health issues: Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Seahorse Meds

I'm sorry to hear about the SH, I went through something like this a long time ago and it is painful to watch. I wish you the best of luck in curing him/her.

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx heaps for the quick responce it is a female kuda since i posted it has now hitched to some coral and looking happier i will check the thread now Thanx again

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you quarantine the fish in its own tank? I would keep a very close eye on it.

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have it quarentined in its tank with something to hitch on and it has, it is breathing quickly and unless it trys to swim seem content still no sighns of bloating or any other symptons

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok heres a update....... SH looking happier and has eaten this arvo still not swimming well but at least it seems to have improved slightly

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on the parameters. If there is no improvement in her swimming, you may want to consider treating the seahorse.

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SH still not swimming well so got a scipt for Diamox to treat for IGB its all i can put it down to

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SH still not swimming well so got a scipt for Diamox to treat for IGB its all i can put it down to

That is exactly what I was thinking. I would also hatch baby brine shrimp and add the diamox to their tank. This way the food source is soaked in the diamox. Good luck. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the advice got heaps of baby brine on the go right now so that wont be a problem

OP
OP
B

burringbar123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we have had success after treating the SH with Diamox it is again swimming freely and feeding.I used 1/2 a 250 millagram tablet to 10 ltres of water left the SH in it for 24 hours then removed it for the same amount of time and after 3 days a happy SH:bounce:Thanx for the help its nice to have a win occasionally:whoo:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back