Have ick in reef tank

James Matthews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some fish and developed ick in my reef tank, I dont have a big enough quarantine tank for all my fish can I put my inverts and corals and some live rock in quarantine tank and treat main tank with chelated copper sulfate? Or will it kill of my tank?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some fish and developed ick in my reef tank, I dont have a big enough quarantine tank for all my fish can I put my inverts and corals and some live rock in quarantine tank and treat main tank with chelated copper sulfate? Or will it kill of my tank?
I would suggest on not dosing medications to main tank at all. Find some way where you can remove all fish and treat in separate tank and let tank run fallow.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never put copper in your Main tank if it will ever have coral or inverts, it leaches into all components. This is a terrible idea.

I’m going through this right now. I got stupid and didn’t QT some snails.
Look all over for a tank or two or three depending on how many you need to QT. Craigslist, local reefing groups, facebook for sale ads. Borrow from other reefing buddies.

I found Petsmart had a sale on 55g tanks. I got one for $140. (And it’s still on sale) It came with, HOB filter, heater, and led covers. Also I had a 20 on hand. Also I saw Petco had a bunch of tanks, perhaps they have a tank sale coming.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep the water quality as prestine as possible, feed the fish very well with various types of frozen shrimps and they should be fine and then have a good immunity to ich. Ich isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be if you take care of the tank and it’s inhabitants by the simple things I noted. If the conditions are the opposite, water not great, feeding cheap foods like flake, pellets etc.. fish are stressed constantly by there environment then ich can end up adversely affecting the lives of them.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep the water quality as prestine as possible, feed the fish very well with various types of frozen shrimps and they should be fine and then have a good immunity to ich. Ich isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be if you take care of the tank and it’s inhabitants by the simple things I noted. If the conditions are the opposite, water not great, feeding cheap foods like flake, pellets etc.. fish are stressed constantly by there environment then ich can end up adversely affecting the lives of them.
Fish don’t become immune to ICH. Ich is a parasite, known as crptocaryon. They can survive the infestation if they are healthy, but they aren't immune to it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don’t become immune to ICH. Ich is a parasite, known as crptocaryon. They can survive the infestation if they are healthy, but they aren't immune to it.
Well thanks for letting me know they cant be immune, but as ich has been present from about 4 years ago in my tank when some of them had it I haven't seen it pop up since a fish addition 3 years ago. So if there not immune now I wonder why then they haven't shown any signs of it? Whatever the reason a built up immunity or not something is helping them not get reinfected with it. If it's true they cant have immunity then what could be the reason for no signs of it in 3 years? The ich has 13 fish to choose from in my tank from a blenny to 3 tangs, 4 triggers, couple of clowns, a wrasse etc. If they have an immune system, then I would naturally think they are now immune. @Paul B any opinion on fish immunity possible?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 your best bet is to purchase several tank dividers this will help mitigate tank aggression while in QT. How many fish and what size tank for the qt?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for letting me know they cant be immune, but as ich has been present from about 4 years ago in my tank when some of them had it I haven't seen it pop up since a fish addition 3 years ago. So if there not immune now I wonder why then they haven't shown any signs of it? Whatever the reason a built up immunity or not something is helping them not get reinfected with it. If it's true they cant have immunity then what could be the reason for no signs of it in 3 years? The ich has 13 fish to choose from in my tank from a blenny to 3 tangs, 4 triggers, couple of clowns, a wrasse etc. If they have an immune system, then I would naturally think they are now immune. @Paul B any opinion on fish immunity possible?
Here, read this instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back