Have you heard of fritx expel-p

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi was wondering if anyone has heard of frotz expel-p and used on their seahorse? (For parasites)

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites. They are scratching themselves in the artificial plants in tank
That’s what they do,, get pair cleaner shrimp, my guys love em they pull up to the rock cleaner shrimp jumps on and goes to work when done that horse swims away and another takes it’s place,, almost like a car wash and I have 30ish seahorses that are all healthy

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what they do,, get pair cleaner shrimp, my guys love em they pull up to the rock cleaner shrimp jumps on and goes to work when done that horse swims away and another takes it’s place,, almost like a car wash and I have 30ish seahorses that are all healthy
Here’s my tank now

Attachments

• IMG_2342.MOV
    71.6 MB

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paulie, he would be best to do without cleaner ship as he has dwarfs in the tank along with an erectus.
Also, the shrimp don't always work out. My reidis tore apart mine and ate the pieces. Other times seahorses can be stressed by the attention of the shrimp and stress can lead to poor resistance to pathogens.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paulie, he would be best to do without cleaner ship as he has dwarfs in the tank along with an erectus.
Also, the shrimp don't always work out. My reidis tore apart mine and ate the pieces. Other times seahorses can be stressed by the attention of the shrimp and stress can lead to poor resistance to pathogens.
I did not know that I only gave advice from what I’ve experienced with my cleaner shrimp, all my ponies like it,, I’ve never claimed to be a expert I just talk about what I have seen in my own tank
I guess I should of said
IN MY OWN OPINION,,, with important stuff I always send peeps your way for info because I respect you

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pauli, don't worry about posting your own successes as it's part of our overall learning.
I just replied so that others considering the move would not go ahead without at least considering OTHER experiences, thinking that it works all the time. You aren't the only one by far that has had success with shrimp in their seahorse tanks.
I'm NOT an expert but I DO have years of experience that gives me an advantage as I've experience many different scenarios. That being said, it's just a drop in a bucket compared to ALL the experiences hobbyists have had so I can only base my writings on those experiences and also what I trust to be accurate in my readings.
You did that also, posting based on your experience and collectively it all leads to progression of the hobby.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#rayjay
Is this same
Screenshot_20200901-083627_Chrome.jpg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not the same. If you can get Furan II it's better choice than tri-sulpha and better still to use both together.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find triple sulfa at stores.and I always see it. I found Furan2 on amazon. Can they wait a day? I'm thinking I need to start today

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not the same. If you can get Furan II it's better choice than tri-sulpha and better still to use both together.
Purchased the furan2 . Eta tomorrow.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan II is the better one if using only one. triple sulpha also goes by tri-sulpha and I think another name that escapes me just now but basically 3 "sulphas".
As we don't know what the problem is, we don't know if a day later is problematic.
I just checked on seahorse.org to find info by Ann who was the author of the meds/dosing piece and this is what she said:" Erythromycin and tetracycline are not very effective against most of the bacteria we see in seahorses "

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put the 3-4week old dwarfs too?

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONLY treat the seahorses that have the problem and at this time I believe you only have the one.
Leave the remainder in their display tank but be sure to do BIGGER water changes than the 20% you said you already have done.
If you don't have a 10g tank to use, a 5g pail will work but cut the dosing in half.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect, will do. i do have a couple of dwarfs that are scratching so ill put them in.keep you posted. again...thank you rayjay

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan II and tri- or triple sulpha are antibiotic medicines and WILL NOT do anything for parasitic scratching. Standard treatment for parasites is formalin. They are medicines that kill off nasty bacteria, sometimes it can be a result of parasitic action that gets infected by bacteria, but that is normally a visible thing to see.
Scratching is a normal thing but the degree to which it occurs is the hard point to decide.
Often, the freshwater dip is sufficient to lower the levels in/on a seahorse to where it's manageable for them but I've never dipped a dwarf and don't know how that would work out. For standard seahorses when it doesn't work, formalin is the treatment of choice but it is a chemical that needs careful handling as I believe it has been carcinogenic rated.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back