Hawaiian Dwarf Moray Eel Tank Mates

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a Hawaiian dwarf moray eel recently and thinking about what other fish I can put with them. Was curious how aggressive they were for their size compared to something like a snowflake or what not. I know some eels are more invert hunters than fish hunters and vise versa and was wondering what the Hawaiian is known for. The smallest fish I was thinking about was a yellow clown goby, yasha goby, shark nose goby and red sea mimic blenny. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts and experience.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not really that aggressive and for the most part will be more reserved and even shy. With that said they are fish hunters and those gobies are not good choices for tank mates. Nature is nature.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not really that aggressive and for the most part will be more reserved and even shy. With that said they are fish hunters and those gobies are not good choices for tank mates. Nature is nature.
What's on the menu? Goby! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
C

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess part of my concern is in my experience I've had great long term success with things like snowflake eels and small fish such as a shark nose goby (Many predators leave them alone in my experience because of their cleaning ability), but also other small gobies as well. Where I've more aggressive eels like the yellow head that will kill them over night. Just wanted to see which the Hawaiian dwarf was more similar too in aggression.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess part of my concern is in my experience I've had great long term success with things like snowflake eels and small fish such as a shark nose goby (Many predators leave them alone in my experience because of their cleaning ability), but also other small gobies as well. Where I've more aggressive eels like the yellow head that will kill them over night. Just wanted to see which the Hawaiian dwarf was more similar too in aggression.

The difference is the snowflake is a pebbletooth eel and fish are not normally a part of their native diet. In cases where a snowflake too large is a new addition, they may take to a small fish, but if raised from young, they will mostly leave fish alone. The Hawaiian dwarf is a fangtooth eel, designed to grab and tear fish, small fish are their native diet. Sometimes it may work, most times it's only a matter of time, most times people forget to tell you that. My philosophy is to cater to the nature of the beast, by doing so you give yourself the best chances for a happy tank. Exactly what size of fish is safe I can't say, with all predators, appropriate sizing is paramount.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back