Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go!

I have 2 of these in the baffle.

1 for carbon, 1 for rowaphos

1292d3508a89855ebb93aa56539b1b64.jpg
3898dcdf6729704f1944c921b549cdab.jpg
Oh ok, now I understand thank you! I'm using the eshopps r-200 3rd gen. I think my only high flow option or optimal placement would be in my sock area or return pump chamber. By design I don't have an area where I can slide it in between baffles. I might have to get creative. As always I'm open to any suggestions.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, now I understand thank you! I'm using the eshopps r-200 3rd gen. I think my only high flow option or optimal placement would be in my sock area or return pump chamber. By design I don't have an area where I can slide it in between baffles. I might have to get creative. As always I'm open to any suggestions.
Prior to thinking of this, I hung the bags in my filter socks.

Acrylic rod thru a knot in the media bag Place the rod over the sock holder.

Or a reactor:)

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always get the strainer cups for your filter socks and put the carbon in bags in the cups

FWIW, I was going to get those. Then I realized that if the bags sit in the bottom of the cup, crap will pile upon the media bags. So I didn’t get them.

Even with filter floss on top it would just bug me.

But that’s just me :)

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always get the strainer cups for your filter socks and put the carbon in bags in the cups
Thanks! You know I have heard mention of these on some threads and forgot all about option. That would definitely take care of the high flow.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I was going to get those. Then I realized that if the bags sit in the bottom of the cup, crap will pile upon the media bags. So I didn’t get them.

Even with filter floss on top it would just bug me.

But that’s just me :)
Ya good point

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the sump - My filter socks on that sump are extremely short. When I bought the sump it was purchased with the plan of going in the cabinet. I didn't think about setting the sump up behind the tank until after my 30 day return on the sump was up. Go figure right? I run the sock for 3 or 4 days and pull it to wash in fear of it plugging and flooding. I just bought a second sock today. I am starting to realize to be efficient I will need about a 1/2 dozen. It only has one sock slot which is another drawback. I might have to go with the reactor?

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the sump - My filter socks on that sump are extremely short. When I bought the sump it was purchased with the plan of going in the cabinet. I didn't think about setting the sump up behind the tank until after my 30 day return on the sump was up. Go figure right? I run the sock for 3 or 4 days and pull it to wash in fear of it plugging and flooding. I just bought a second sock today. I am starting to realize to be efficient I will need about a 1/2 dozen. It only has one sock slot which is another drawback. I might have to go with the reactor?
Oh and have I mentioned how much my wife loves the smell of the laundry room when I'm washing the sock? :rolleyes:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like washing socks either but I like what they do for the tank, so I hose them outside.

I run 1 nylon mesh sock and one filter sock.

The nylon catches the big stuff no problem and rinse clean in a minute.

So by only running 1 felt, they last twice as long vs running 2.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old salt bucket that has bleach water in it and a nice tight lid. I pull the socks and drop them in the bucket so they soak in the bleach water until they are all dirty. I also use floss and do they same with them. When I run out I run without a sock or floss for a week or so until I throw them all in the washer with bleach. Let them dry completely and then start over. I have 3 socks and 4 pieces of floss that I use and that will last me about 2-3 weeks.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old salt bucket that has bleach water in it and a nice tight lid. I pull the socks and drop them in the bucket so they soak in the bleach water until they are all dirty. I also use floss and do they same with them. When I run out I run without a sock or floss for a week or so until I throw them all in the washer with bleach. Let them dry completely and then start over. I have 3 socks and 4 pieces of floss that I use and that will last me about 2-3 weeks.
Excellent! Thank you!

You and Mike are awesome!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thank you!

You and Mike are awesome!

If you were close enough I would come over and wash your filter socks every Saturday:)

No, not really!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya know, I keep mine in a Lowe’s bucket with a lid, and man it stinks every time I open the lid to put another sock in.

I never even thought about a splash of bleach till I clean them.

Thanks Fudsey!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that just blows..... sorry :(:(
Thanks Fudsey, He wasn't acting right and tried to catch him to put him in the hospital tank but couldn't get him in time. Never realized how much swimming room and hidding places there was in that tank until I tried catching him. My fish trap seemed to work for every fish in the but that one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back