OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going through a little bit of the uglies, but that's expected. The tank is in the basement and it looks like I might have to invest into a second heater with winter coming on, my sump area is fairly small so the eheim is out of the question. The 300 watt I have in the tank is almost at tall as me! Ok, maybe a little exaggeration but that thing is long. Done a quick video feeding the kids. So far everything seems to be doing fine, no real issues to report. Dang, I need some color on those rocks!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the start of the day has been pretty neat. Found a bristle worm in the wife's tank. This thing has been going for almost a year and it amazes me how things just show up.

Donating 2 nems, 2 finally came loose, but on got carried into a cave in her scape and can't get to it. It should start coming out looking for light, if not I have the power head blasting 3 more. Hopefully they get mad and let loose.

Then its time for the question of the day. I have four lyretail''s, the largest one is developing a streamer on its dorsal fin, is that an indication it's changing sex? Are there other signs that would give a clue?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I believe is the start to change to male. It should also start to change color and get a lateral line I think.

Ooops wrong on the lateral line :confused::confused:

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I believe is the start to change to male
Thanks! I was thinking the same think but I wanted a second option. My wife tells me the "thinking" part is usually what gets me in trouble. :D

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks is a happy tank right now. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. o_O

2 nems went to their new home. They will be housed in the Maize High school. What a great deal for the nems and the kids!

We completed our 3rd and last FW treatment in the 32 with no casualties. Yay! Found a small bristle worm earlier in the day, while vacuuming after the FW treatment this evening I found another that was about 1.5" long He now has a new home in the 144 sump. Now I'm relaxing waiting for the cigar and beer delivery to show up from PAPA @Fudsey the nem master! :)

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, news flash! My wife just informed me that we are ordering a 54 gallon Red Sea. Reverse phycology does work. ;)

I guess that means I will now have 4 tanks to take care of. :D. THERE IS A SANTA!!!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm thinking my Tribal Blenny has flukes. He will swim around fine and then swim down and slap the sand. I have read posts on the web where some people say its a normal weird thing that some of them do but I'm a little skeptical. No spots, no rapid breathing, not rubbing on the rocks, no yawning or swimming in the power heads. Had him in for observation in the qt for about 2 weeks but didn't treat for anything. It looks like its getting irritated on the sides from slapping the sand. Fun part will be catching this guy.
What do you think? @Dsnakes @mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm thinking my Tribal Blenny has flukes. He will swim around fine and then swim down and slap the sand. I have read posts on the web where some people say its a normal weird thing that some of them do but I'm a little skeptical. No spots, no rapid breathing, not rubbing on the rocks, no yawning or swimming in the power heads. Had him in for observation in the qt for about 2 weeks but didn't treat for anything. It looks like its getting irritated on the sides from slapping the sand. Fun part will be catching this guy.
What do you think? @Dsnakes @mta_morrow

I have had several fish over time exibit that behavior. A flametail blenny, zebra dart, and a firefish.

They always do it when I’m sitting in front of the tank.

If I walk away, they stop? I will watch from around the corner and they just don’t do it.

I don’t know what to say.........

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several fish over time exibit that behavior. A flametail blenny, zebra dart, and a firefish.

They always do it when I’m sitting in front of the tank.

If I walk away, they stop? I will watch from around the corner and they just don’t do it.

I don’t know what to say.........
Thanks for the response! I will monitor this guy and make sure nothing out of the norm starts.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bigger white spot, still slaps the sand. Uhg!
Doesn't look like velvet to me. Not displaying any of the classic symptoms of it either. Still trying to find a good pic of a dark colored fish to see if it's flukes. Have have seen velvet and ich but never first hand seen flukes (hope it's something that easy). I'll keep looking....

All other fish looks perfect, swimming and eating.

IMG_20181107_154751.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's talk sumps. I run a sock for a few days after water changes or when I "think" the water needs cleaned up a tad. In the sump I have my small pieces of rubble (not allot in there) cheato and pods. Nothing but the skimmer in the skimmer chamber. Never having a tank this size should I have a bag of carbon or anything else in this thing? It seems almost to basic as if I'm missing something obvious.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My factory sump holds 2 socks. I use 1 felt and one mesh. They last about 2 1/2 days.

I like the mesh cause it slimes up with the bacteria from dosing nopox so it’s the perfect way to remove the bad stuff.

In the skimmer section I have a container with 4 liters of Seachem Matrix, skimmer, chaeto reactor.

Pretty basic as well.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reactors and actually I took them off line and just use media bags now.

I like not having more gear. They work great and are the best way to go to get the most out of the media but I wanted less work, so......

I think the key to using media bags is placement.

I basically made small, narrow frag racks out of egg crate and placed 2 of them under the bubble filter between baffles.

This has the bags laying down and max flow thru.

I will post pics tonight if you like.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reactors and actually I took them off line and just use media bags now.

I like not having more gear. They work great and are the best way to go to get the most out of the media but I wanted less work, so......

I think the key to using media bags is placement.

I basically made small, narrow frag racks out of egg crate and placed 2 of them under the bubble filter between baffles.

This has the bags laying down and max flow thru.

I will post pics tonight if you like.
Yes please, im curious to see it and bold enough to copy!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go!

I have 2 of these in the baffle.

1 for carbon, 1 for rowaphos

I cut the bubble trap matting in half.

Use 1 to catch crap, while the other is cleaned and drying.

1292d3508a89855ebb93aa56539b1b64.jpg
3898dcdf6729704f1944c921b549cdab.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back