Healthy Hammer Coral Skeleton Dissolving

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seemingly very healthy hammer coral that has split from 2 to 4 heads and now has babies budding all in 6 months. But a couple days ago I noticed the base skeleton below the tissue is dissolving or being chewed away. Previously the base had become infested with some kind of feather duster type filter feeder, I don't know the name but they looked like single white feathers extending straight out. I took the coral out and scrubbed them off with a toothbrush about 2 weeks ago. Now this week I noticed the skeleton damaged. Did they weaken the skeleton or is this something else? I have another hammer and frogspawn close by and neither have any issues. I don't have any livestock that would chew on calcium, however I recently added a foxface, maybe he was trying to eat algae off the base and the skeleton broke apart, having been weakened by the filter feeders? His mouth is tiny compared to the size of the coral so I find this hard to believe. Or is this a know issue with euphyllia?
Should I fill the holes in the base with epoxy to prevent any further damage?
Thanks for any ideas.

20211219_190516.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a bit of high alk with low calcium. I want to say this is erosion. As you said, the bugs did contribute to a weakened skeleton. They can do that.

Do you have any urchins? I would also aim for 420-450 calcium to assist in stronger skeleton build as your hammer grows. Also check magnesium and keep that above 1200.

You probably still have the spionid worms. I do not know of any predators to remove them.

OP
OP
M

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am dosing some calcium over 5 days to get back up to 440 or so. I think my doser is not dosing enough calcium, I am waiting for new check valves. Mag is up in the high 1300s.
I will keep an eye on if and check for more of the spinoid worms.
Thanks

OP
OP
M

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump , what’s the status
The coral is doing well, has continued to spilt heads and a couple babies are sprouting out. The base stopped deteriorating, and I haven't had any more infestations of the spinoid worms. I have another hammer and a frogspawn also in the tank and they are all fine. It must have been a combination of a weak skeleton due to the low calcium and all the worms living in there. I haven't had a problem since.

Back