Healthy Looking Coral?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this coral especially for the price but shouldn't the polyps be more extended? Are there any spottable sign of I'll health anyone can see? The polyps might just be retracted because it was probably in the ocean less than a month ago...might this be why and how hard would it be to acclimate a wild coral (i assume) to aquarium conditions? Screenshot_2022-11-29-15-30-51-169_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much polyps on the speciousa “first picture” I have a small frag and it’s coloring up nicely but polyps are tiny.. if you hit with a turkey baster you’ll see them retract.
0BA2CA58-B076-44A7-AA04-EC926D203CB0.jpeg
CE27DD85-5D2D-4F3B-99B6-AA7C97860E40.jpeg
0C6B2109-AC3F-49E8-8D83-DCD1832E84AA.jpeg
So you think the one in the pic is healthy, right? And that the polyps aren't retracted due to stress, right? (Middle in my picture)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think the one in the pic is healthy, right? And that the polyps aren't retracted due to stress, right? (Middle in my picture)
It should be fine.. it’s just adjusting.. I gotta say there’s always a better chance it won’t make it with wild or mariculture stuff… aquaculture aka home grown in captivity have much better success rates and can tolerate mistakes better on our parts when our tanks aren’t super stable.. that’s why most home grown frags have a big price tag! People spend lots of time and money growing out frags or nurturing a wild colony into captivity before chopping them up and selling it off… if you like it it’s worth the risk! It’s hard to say with any coral lol.. I have some really hard to keep Sps and they’re doing amazing and the only piece that died was a birds nest that’s the easiest lol..

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill ask how long they've had it...if they've had it for a while now I'lmd feel more comfortable about the risk
It should be fine.. it’s just adjusting.. I gotta say there’s always a better chance it won’t make it with wild or mariculture stuff… aquaculture aka home grown in captivity have much better success rates and can tolerate mistakes better on our parts when our tanks aren’t super stable.. that’s why most home grown frags have a big price tag! People spend lots of time and money growing out frags or nurturing a wild colony into captivity before chopping them up and selling it off… if you like it it’s worth the risk! It’s hard to say with any coral lol.. I have some really hard to keep Sps and they’re doing amazing and the only piece that died was a birds nest that’s the easiest lol..

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle and bottom corals are probably A. convexa which doesn’t tend to have significant polyp extension during the day.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle and bottom corals are probably A. convexa which doesn’t tend to have significant polyp extension during the day.
Oh ok, thanks! That's good to know! It's a beautiful coral to me and i think a great price for that size.

Back