Healthy wrasse dead in 24 hours

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It can be an indication of internal parasites. Not a definite or not a proof of none. It is just a gauge some use to determine if treatment is needed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, no definite answers. Sorry. We have a lot more to learn. Definitely check out some of Humblefish's threads and Jay H's threads. They are gurus and can help a lot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just so baffled as to how he died so fast, i don’t even know how he got the parasite I’ve had it for so long and I’ve kept the qt sterile and haven’t added in quarantined fish to it, I’ve even treaded with prazi and copper before.
Don't forget that white stringy feces is not always an indication of parasites - it can also be from an imbalance of the fish's gut microbiome; either protozoans or bacteria. The normal populations get out of kilter and mucus production is the main symptom. Trouble is, I don't know how to restore the microbiome - probiotics for fish I suppose, but a fish needs to still be feeding.

As you pointed out, the odd part of this is how fast the fish went down. Could your back worms be funky? I once lost a whole batch of baby pirate perch from feeding some blackworms that had a bacterial bloom that the aquarist didn't rinse out properly before feeding them out.

Jay

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased on ounce of the black worms yesterday, fed some yesterday to an achilles tang I have in qt and have no issues with it thus far. I fed my qt with the black worms this morning and am noticing my flame wrasse and leopard wrasse are a bit uneasy, my leopard not so much but my flame much more. They’re flaring up often and swimming in off patterns,I did net the katherines out so my fish are on egg shells so I can’t tell what’s going on.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, no definite answers. Sorry. We have a lot more to learn. Definitely check out some of Humblefish's threads and Jay H's threads. They are gurus and can help a lot.
I went ahead and threw in the cuprisorb as well, I’m gonna try to remove as much of the medication out of the water as possible. I don’t think I’m dealing with ich or velvet or even brook, that stuff should have been eliminated the first time I did treatment. I’m gonna let the fish’s immune systems bounce back for the rest of the month before I introduce them back into the dt. Will monitor them in the meantime, if anything crazy happens or the white stringy poop persists I’ll have to treat accordingly.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you all the best in the recovery of your tank and fish. I have been there. We all probably have if we have been in the hobby long enough.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already did a full round of copper I would not be treating them again with it.

Wrasses also do best when brought up very very slowly.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you all the best in the recovery of your tank and fish. I have been there. We all probably have if we have been in the hobby long enough.
Thank you, I’m going from disease manage my to disease prevention. It really ticked me off that i ran into these issues and it makes me second guess myself because I’m right around the corner of a 100 day fallow period.... thanks for the help I appreciate it a lot.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already did a full round of copper I would not be treating them again with it.

Wrasses also do best when brought up very very slowly.
I did rush into adding copper quickly, raised it from about .4 to 2.2 in 3 days. Should have taken it much slower.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back