Heart of the Ocean Acropora

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. It’s a nice coral but it’s just blue and should be around the $100 the other blue corals are. The only pic I’ve seen that has impressed me is Pengs original pic.

I got my Oregon blue tort from brofragenstein on the previous page and it’s as blue as his pic shows. Yes more blue than the other Oregon torts posted in this thread.
The OBT and this coral both look awesome to me. In the pictures on my calibrated display, the OBT looks super blue, and the HotO looks dark blue with a touch of magenta in the comparison pic with the OBT colony and the HotO frag in the same shot. I would like a frag of each :)

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see what all the hype is about this Acro. I’m not saying it’s not a nice Acro but you guys are blowing up this one way out of proportion.

Honestly I have just never seen one this blue, and blue is my thing. People have different tastes... The bluest I have are JF Blue Monster Tort and JF Robins Egg, but they are not this blue. I have thought about getting an Oregon Tort based on some of the pics here, but it looks like JF Blue Monster is essentially the exact same thing.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the most asked about coral in my tank when people come over. It stands out over other blue staples like OBT, Matrix, Ice Fire, etc. Nobody who has gotten any from me has been disappointed yet. Ed is next and he has a discerning eye. No tricks needed, just beautiful coral.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the most asked about coral in my tank when people come over. It stands out over other blue staples like OBT, Matrix, Ice Fire, etc. Nobody who has gotten any from me has been disappointed yet. Ed is next and he has a discerning eye. No tricks needed, just beautiful coral.

Can we see a picture of your tank?

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this little guy for $50.00. This is taken under an Ati 4 bulb fixture. I am
Very happy with its blue color.
2b572d8023daadfa221c0ce1aec9c9ba.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever figure out if it was Tenuis or Verm or something else? The thread on RC was inconclusive and I have always wondered... they are pretty close.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever figure out if it was Tenuis or Verm or something else? The thread on RC was inconclusive and I have always wondered... they are pretty close.

I’m not sure what the papa smurf is. I’m not that good at identifying acro species.
But yeah, my thread on Reefcentral wasn’t very helpful. Someone even had the nerves to say that I’m making up names now. It’s like he’s never heard of named frags.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both JF Papa Smurf and HOTO, Papa smurf isn't as bright of blue though I have had it a lot longer

Can we get a picture of the papa smurf? How long have you had it?
I got mine at RAP last October. Its pretty much the same but the frag plug is encrusted over.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update... Got a frag from JDA... well worth it. I know he doesn't sell but if you got some goodies to trade him for a piece, I would.

Forgive how freshly it was dipped and glued before these pictures but figured I would put it by my Oregon tort to compare.

Under Radions:

pengshoto (1 of 1).jpg

By my Oregon Tort under T5s
hotooregon (1 of 1).jpg

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update... Got a frag from JDA... well worth it. I know he doesn't sell but if you got some goodies to trade him for a piece, I would.

Forgive how freshly it was dipped and glued before these pictures but figured I would put it by my Oregon tort to compare.

Under Radions:

pengshoto (1 of 1).jpg

By my Oregon Tort under T5s
hotooregon (1 of 1).jpg
I'm sad you posted this. I must have one, somehow, someday. Oregon Tort has been a dream coral for me since it was first introduced and I never managed to get one. Now this unavailable coral has stolen that immense desire!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad you posted this. I must have one, somehow, someday. Oregon Tort has been a dream coral for me since it was first introduced and I never managed to get one. Now this unavailable coral has stolen that immense desire!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You can get an Oregon tort readily these days I feel... But a HOTO is like a unicorn... I'm talking magic fairy dust and rainbows with it!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You can get an Oregon tort readily these days I feel... But a HOTO is like a unicorn... I'm talking magic fairy dust and rainbows with it!
I was out of the hobby for 9 years for grad school (masters in aquaculture), and a career that took me away from home for most of the year. Just now getting back into the hobby the last few years, and I moved across the country after I started a tank back up. Got a 72"x44"x27" display and a 72"x48"x18" frag tank (fishless!) on the way from @Tankme USA . My current tank is 66 gallons to hold the coral in a fishless environment, and a 150 gallon stock tank for the rest of the rock.

Once this plan comes together, maybe I can bribe someone for a frag!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of the hobby for 9 years for grad school (masters in aquaculture), and a career that took me away from home for most of the year. Just now getting back into the hobby the last few years, and I moved across the country after I started a tank back up. Got a 72"x44"x27" display and a 72"x48"x18" frag tank (fishless!) on the way from @Tankme USA . My current tank is 66 gallons to hold the coral in a fishless environment, and a 150 gallon stock tank for the rest of the rock.

Once this plan comes together, maybe I can bribe someone for a frag!
Oh man! Can I be your roommate! That sounds magical!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back