Heater controller to use with apex as safety backup

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the
American Marine Pinpoint Dual-Stage Temperature Controller + Probe.

PinPoint Temperature Controller can easily handle up to a 1/2HP chiller and 700 Watts of heaters (12 Amps). The PinPoint Temperature Controller is a dual-stage controller that can also be used as a single-stage controller. The temperature probe tip is made of 316 stainless steel and the 10-foot cable has a silicone jacket that is ozone resistant.
  • Display Resolution: +/- 0.1º F
  • Accuracy +/- 1.0º F
  • Voltage: 110V
One of the best investments I've made for my tank. This thing is absolutely the top of the line temperature controller.

As far as the Apex, if it malfunctions, or the heater malfunctions, you can have the Apex shut it off. Animals can live in colder water a lot longer than hot water. But if you want the best, ime, temp controller, the Pinpoint is it. You don't need it plugged into the Apex and is a standalone unit. Works AWESOME!!!
American-Marine-Pinpoint-Dual-Stage-Temperature-Controller-+-Probe-99.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 via aqua Titanium heaters. One is the main, one is a backup. I have the backup set 2 degrees lower than the main. The heaters use their own thermostats to cycle on and off. I have the Apex set to shut both heater outlets off at 80.5 degrees. I have an alert set to let me know if the temp gets to 78 degrees. This way, the Apex is the failsafe if a heater gets stuck on, the Apex will also let me know if the main heater fails (79 degrees) and the backup is taking over.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cobalt neotherm heater for my upcoming new setup and got the Finnix controller as a backup.

So I’m guessing I set the cobalt for say 78 and the finnix for 80 so if the cobalts fails and sticks on, the finnix will shut the power once the tank goes too hot.
Just set it up. It appears that the Finnex shuts the power off if it is on too long even. Has anyone seen this? Power light is off after running overnite.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back