Heaters: In Tank or In the Sump

Do you have your heaters in your sump or display

• Total voters

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of you with sump systems put your equipment there for aesthetic reasons and one can see exactly how that is understood.

I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years now (other than dabbling in it here and there) but, I have been thinking of setting up a new tank, something like a 80g system.

After thinking about past tanks I have had some pretty nasty things happen over my 20 some odd years of being in the hobby. After playing with a bowl setup, small 1.5 gallon system last year, I noticed that my house in the winter at 68 sometimes 65-66 was cold. Even the little 5w heater couldnt do it and I had to give up on that tank. This had me thinking though, that if I were to be away and the return pump stop in the sump, this could be a really big problem in the display this winter. So, would it be feasible to put the heaters in the display vs the sump?

Just extra: I plan on running two titanium heaters on separate controllers.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s aesthetics. Heaters make way more practical sense in the tank. No one wants to look at them though. With a larger tank you have enough mass that it takes a fairly long time to lose heat should something happen. There are sever cheap devices that can monitor for you now and even text you should something happen.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This had me thinking though, that if I were to be away and the return pump stop in the sump, this could be a really big problem in the display this winter. So, would it be feasible to put the heaters in the display vs the sump?
I think that’s a good idea as a safety precaution, especially if you are away for a long period of time and don’t have a controller.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This had me thinking though, that if I were to be away and the return pump stop in the sump, this could be a really big problem in the display this winter.

Welcome back, the answer is 2 separate return pumps. That's what everyone [smart] does these days.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If worried about loss of critical support system like return pump, I would run 2 return pumps. All of my gear is in the sump. I want to use every available real estate in the display.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 return pumps, and I’m so glad I did! I had to repair my return pumps 2 different times this year by sending it to Echotech. It took about 2 weeks to get the latest one back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back