Hello all! started up my new tank last month.

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! started up my new tank last month. I had a 90 galon fish/liverock/softy tank about 5 years ago (couldn't take with us). Now we are settled into our new home and jumping back in. Setup: RedSea Reefer 250, dead/dry rock, RedSea 90 LED (x2), IceCap Gyer 3K, (haven't picked skimmer yet). I am currently cycling tank and need some help. Rock was in separate tub for one month with dead shrimp(s) and Dr Tim's. Added to tank later.
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2

Wk 1: Ammonia 3ppm, nothing else
Wk 2: Ammonia 2.5ppm Nitrite .5
Wk 3: Ammonia 1.25 Nitrite 5+ (Nitrate 20ppm)
Wk 3.5: Ammonia <.25 Nitrite 5+ (Nitrate 20ppm)
Wk 4: Ammonia 0ppm after 5/min .25/20min
Nitrate 0 (Nitrate 20ppm)

Should I dose tank again with Ammonia, add fish, or phantom feed? I am about to start my quarantine tank today (have extra media bag in sump from the start)

20190903_151551.jpg 20190903_144747.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You have a nice tank and it looks like you are off to a good start!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Cow!

You did it exactly how it's supposed to be done... rocks pre-cycled AND pictures in your first post.
I think you'll go far :)

Welcome
spockwelcome.jpg

Opinions will vary on your cycle. Typically, when you hit 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, you're cool for that first fish (or pair of). Probably even truer for you given you pre-cycled your rock. Still, never hurts to be patient. You'll hear some fans, and non fans, of your all in one test kits. Some peeps say they often give a .25 ammonia reading when it's truly 0.

In the meantime, brace yourself for the love. Here it comes!!!

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Greg! Great looking tank. If you're going to QT your fish anyway, it couldn't hurt to dose ammonia one more time to ensure you get the same results. I've read many times that you can get a false ammonia reading with the API test kit. Lots of folks don't like it. I use Salifert, but there are many options. And I agree. You're off to a great start.

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Cow!

You did it exactly how it's supposed to be done... rocks pre-cycled AND pictures in your first post.
I think you'll go far :)

Welcome
spockwelcome.jpg

Opinions will vary on your cycle. Typically, when you hit 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, you're cool for that first fish (or pair of). Probably even truer for you given you pre-cycled your rock. Still, never hurts to be patient. You'll hear some fans, and non fans, of your all in one test kits. Some peeps say they often give a .25 ammonia reading when it's truly 0.

In the meantime, brace yourself for the love. Here it comes!!!
Thanks. I tested 0 last week for Ammonia and today was higher? Retested and 0. My main question is want to do a 4-6week (if lucky) quarantine for my first fish. If I let my display tank set for a month do I need to re-cycle
Welcome Greg! Great looking tank. If you're going to QT your fish anyway, it couldn't hurt to dose ammonia one more time to ensure you get the same results. I've read many times that you can get a false ammonia reading with the API test kit. Lots of folks don't like it. I use Salifert, but there are many options. And I agree. You're off to a great start.

Dose or phantom feed?

OP
OP
GregDaKeg

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R can wait to see how this tank progresses. I would let the tank progress on its own without adding anything and letting the rock cure more while you are doing your quarantine. you want to start with a strong system. Check out BRS video series on ULM tanks and what their approach was to starting their tanks. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...rock-for-saltwater-fish-tanks-reef-faq-brstv/
I have watch almost all of there vids lol. Alot has changed In a very short amount of time. No more buying x2 500 watt Halide bulbs every 6 months!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose or phantom feed?

Like I said, I would dose one more time, then if all seems well, ghost feed sparingly and test periodically.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back