Hello. Back into reefing after 8 years!

CZsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to all reefers.
I am back into the saltwater tank ecosystem after an 8 year layoff.
Even before I left, my knowledge was and still is around the beginner-average area.
My 3 year old has had a fascination with fish recently so I decided to get back in.

We just purchased a Fluval 13.5 reef tank, 3 days ago, and so far it has been ok.
Letting the tank cycle. Bought some sand and live rock from my LFS.
Currently looking to upgrade the lighting system and looking to add the possibility of the Hygger Mini Wave Maker.
I have read nano tanks don't need too much motion, but for the GSP I'd like to get and pair of fish, I think it would benefit the coral and my sand bed.

Any information and help on how to better set up these nano tanks is welcome.
The end result I'd like in my kids tank would be a pair of clowns and some soft coral.
Thank you for your time and happy reefing!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The Fluval 13.5 is a very popular tank. If you go to the build threads forums and search for Fluval you will find many built threads for that tank that will have many great ideas for ways to configure the tank. Have fun.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

SDReefer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Welcome back! Fun little tank, and nano's of course are their own animal.

A good option for a light if you want to keep the stock lid is the Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 15-24 inch, the app is straightforward, $154.98 on Amazon. I think it's worth it initially and cheaper than a new lid and an AI prime, plenty of light for GSP's. It fits pretty much flush where the stock one sits. I was under the impression the base fixture itself was 15" so didn't do it for about 6 weeks, but with the arms it's closer to 13" - the stock one is 14". You won't be able to run the filter cover unless you do a little DIY shaving of the mounting arm on that side, but I don't like running that cover anyway to at least provide a little more air exchange. I can throw in a pic if you want.

For flow I would just upgrade your return pump first, you'll need it anyway. Sicce Syncra Silent .5. $42.99. Should be plenty of flow and you can skip the hygger. I've thought about getting the hygger myself as a budget solution to say another inflated price tag AI item, a nero, but honestly don't think I need that much flow. I've got it indirect toward my LPS that are in the more middle and far end of the tank from the returns. GSP are not gonna care much about flow.

I think everyone ends up upgrading the filter with an aftermarket media basket (or 2, with a plug for chamber 2), it just makes life easier than dealing with cleaning the stock sponge. You also get much more flexibility in what media you want to run. I have the 3DOcean baskets, chamber 1 is awesome. I removed chamber 2 to make space for UV. A lot of people use the InTank Basket(s). Random Flow Generator (RFG) nozzles are a nice upgrade too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back