My water parameters are as follow
Alk 9 dkh (API)
calcium 380 ppm (API)
Nitrate 0 ppm (API)
Nitrite 0 ppm (API)
ph 8.3 (API)
salinity 1.024 (refractometer)
i did the salifert test twice now and have been getting 140 ppm as result
i bout the reef foundation products from red sea and will be getting this sunday the red sea test kits both the marine care test kit and the red sea foundation test kit
i have the reefer 250 what would be a good amount to dose any of the A-B-C parts till i get the testing kits.
I have no idea why my magnesium is that low
also will be getting the apex sometime next week as well as the loser any advice on how to program it will be greatly appreciate it

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you sure you aren't confusing the amount of reagent it took to get to the endpoint with the amount left over in the syringe? By the chart that came with my Salifert Mg test kit, 140 PPM falls between 0.90 and 0.92 mL as the reading of the reagent left in the syringe, meaning it only took between 0.08 and 0.10 mL of reagent to reach the endpoint. But, if instead, it took between 0.90 to 0.92 mL of reagent to reach the endpoint, leaving between 0.08 and 0.10 mL in the syringe, then that would translate into a Mg level between 1350 and 1380 PPM, which is a quite normal and sane result.

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a total idiot!! i guess i was reading the test wrong because .09 was all that was left in the syringe so i guess i have a mg level between 1350 and 1380 i was wondering why it was that low. would you recommend any dosing to the tank at the moment? pretty much its a mixed reef with both sps and lps?

Gillsandfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tested mine and it didn't change. the pink got darker but didn't change to blue. I haven't added any mag to my system for some time now. the last time I added it tested out at 1380 after the test. my Calcium is also elevated above what the test shows. any thoughts?

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just tested mine and it didn't change. the pink got darker but didn't change to blue. I haven't added any mag to my system for some time now. the last time I added it tested out at 1380 after the test. my Calcium is also elevated above what the test shows. any thoughts?
Are you doing frequent water changes? Could be replenished with your salt and just be normal within the range of error. I also have the issue that my solution doesn't change color. If I add just a couple of drops more than the entire syringe worth, I get the color change. My assumption is that its replenished with water change and somewhere around normal values given the range of error for the test.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back