Hello everyone problem with salifert mag test

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by jordimex, Jul 12, 2017.

1. jordimex

jordimex Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My water parameters are as follow
    Alk 9 dkh (API)
    calcium 380 ppm (API)
    Nitrate 0 ppm (API)
    Nitrite 0 ppm (API)
    ph 8.3 (API)
    salinity 1.024 (refractometer)
    i did the salifert test twice now and have been getting 140 ppm as result
    i bout the reef foundation products from red sea and will be getting this sunday the red sea test kits both the marine care test kit and the red sea foundation test kit
    i have the reefer 250 what would be a good amount to dose any of the A-B-C parts till i get the testing kits.
    I have no idea why my magnesium is that low
    also will be getting the apex sometime next week as well as the loser any advice on how to program it will be greatly appreciate it

NakiFantaki likes this.

2. JimWelsh

JimWelsh Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Are you sure you sure you aren't confusing the amount of reagent it took to get to the endpoint with the amount left over in the syringe? By the chart that came with my Salifert Mg test kit, 140 PPM falls between 0.90 and 0.92 mL as the reading of the reagent left in the syringe, meaning it only took between 0.08 and 0.10 mL of reagent to reach the endpoint. But, if instead, it took between 0.90 to 0.92 mL of reagent to reach the endpoint, leaving between 0.08 and 0.10 mL in the syringe, then that would translate into a Mg level between 1350 and 1380 PPM, which is a quite normal and sane result.

3. jordimex

jordimex Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I feel like a total idiot!! i guess i was reading the test wrong because .09 was all that was left in the syringe so i guess i have a mg level between 1350 and 1380 i was wondering why it was that low. would you recommend any dosing to the tank at the moment? pretty much its a mixed reef with both sps and lps?

4. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I agree it's perfect. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted