Hello! First Reef Tank!

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I bought myself a Fluval Evo 13.5 as a Christmas present from me to me lol. This is my first time having a saltwater/Reef tank and as of right now the inhabitants in my tank are some frags and fish which include :

• brain coral,
  • clove polyp,
  • zoas,
  • blastomussa
  • a coral that I’m not sure what it’s called but it reminds me of a tiny torch coral(not a torch coral) with white tips.
  • 2 Picasso clownfish ( 1 is sick)
  • Small clean up crew ( some snails and 2 hermit crabs)
As for the back sump I tried out the fluval protein skimmer but did not like it and replaced it with some red mangroves, I still have the stock media with the sponge and also have the autoaqua AWC ( best investment so far).I also just got an AI prime HD light but have not installed because I am waiting for a BRS DIY screen net top to arrive. I am new to all this including forums so any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you everyone in advance!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

OP
OP
HenryF

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say your one clown is sick... what’s wrong with it? o_O
I got my 2 clowns about 2 weeks ago and the last couple days I notice the small one ( I’m pretty sure its the male) was not eating and now he mostly stays by the bottom on the sands. I see him swimming occasionally but he seems skinner and I tried to soak his pellets with garlic juice but he still does not eat. I’m not sure what to do...:(

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 2 clowns about 2 weeks ago and the last couple days I notice the small one ( I’m pretty sure its the male) was not eating and now he mostly stays by the bottom on the sands. I see him swimming occasionally but he seems skinner and I tried to soak his pellets with garlic juice but he still does not eat. I’m not sure what to do...:(
Welcome to R2R! Can you get us a picture of the clown? We can try to help! Lots of kind and helpful people here. Is it breathing normally?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HenryF
Thanks for thanking the time to sign up and introducing yourself.
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef and lots a wonderful reefers on here, that can help you on your way.

Freddie

OP
OP
HenryF

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Can you get us a picture of the clown? We can try to help! Lots of kind and helpful people here. Is it breathing normally?

Here are some pictures I managed to take. He does look like he is breathing fast and now spending more time at the bottom
. F573D550-EBF6-482E-8003-95979EFB8689.jpeg 00314D2A-22E0-4605-BE81-38500D39B08F.jpeg

I am also having some cloudy water which I think is due to a bacteria bloom. I checked my Ammonia using the API test kit and I looks like it went up (looked to be in between 0 ppm - 0.25ppm) I think it might have been my attempts to get extra food for my sick clown. My Nitrite was at 0 ppm but my Nitrate looked to be between 20-40 ppm. I did a 15% water change today also.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an airstone to increase the oxygen in the water? The bacterial bloom depletes oxygen. If you have a powerhead, aim it up towards the surface. The rippling water at the surface will increase the exchange of gases in the water and help the clown to breathe better. Ammonia above 0 is like bad smog to humans.

Can we get a closer picture of the clown. Look at the edges of his gills for a reddening of the area. That's a sure sign of ammonia burn.

Here's a link to a thread you may want to "Bookmark" for reference on fish disease. It's a pictorial that our own Meredith posted. It's a wonderful resource:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/#post-3473098

Last edited:

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the other clown have any problems? I'm sorry also, I should've welcomed you to R2R! Instead I started the inquisition about your clownfish :eek: How's the fish's poop look? White/stringy at all? Just trying to determine any potential problems.

OP
OP
HenryF

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an airstone to increase the oxygen in the water? The bacterial bloom depletes oxygen. If you have a powerhead, aim it up towards the surface. The rippling water at the surface will increase the exchange of gases in the water and help the clown to breathe better. Ammonia above 0 is like bad smog to humans.

Can we get a closer picture of the clown. Look at the edges of his gills for a reddening of the area. That's a sure sign of ammonia burn.

Here's a link to a thread you may want to "Bookmark" for reference on fish disease. It's a pictorial that our own Meredith posted. It's a wonderful resource:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/#post-3473098
I do have a small wave maker moving the surface of the water but I will turn one of the water return nozzles towards the surface also. Thank you so much for all the information and help!

I will try to take a closer picture of the gills.

OP
OP
HenryF

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the other clown have any problems? I'm sorry also, I should've welcomed you to R2R! Instead I started the inquisition about your clownfish :eek: How's the fish's poop look? White/stringy at all? Just trying to determine any potential problems.
The other clown seems fine and eats every pellet that comes his way. I did notice white stringy poop a couple days ago coming from the sick clown. Thank you for your help and welcoming !

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other clown seems fine and eats every pellet that comes his way. I did notice white stringy poop a couple days ago coming from the sick clown. Thank you for your help and welcoming !
The "white stringy poop" is symptomatic of intestinal parasites. That also makes sense if your fish is not eating. If it is eating you can mix Metroplex + Focus + Food and that binds the metro, so it can be used in a reef tank.

Here's Humblefish's treatment advice:

Internal/intestinal parasites:

Symptoms - Internal parasites are also “worms,” but these target a fish’s intestines. As a result, the main symptom is white stringy poop. It has to be white; brown stringy poop, for example, can just mean intestinal irritation which requires no treatment.

Treatment options - API General Cure (a medication containing both praziquantel and metronidazole). Some species of internal worms are resistant to prazi, while others are resistant to metro, but usually not both. :wink: Seachem MetroPlex can be dosed directly in QT, or soaking fish food with it provides an alternative (and reef safe) treatment option. Two other available options are: Paracide-X (mixed in food) and Paracide-D (in-tank treatment).

Metronidazole: Treats internal parasites (worms), Brooklynella; possibly Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Metro can be found as a stand-alone drug (ex. Metro+, Seachem MetroPlex) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (ex. API General Cure). It is best to soak it in the fish’s food; however it can also be dosed directly into a quarantine tank. Use until symptoms (white stringy poop) are gone.

Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. The general consensus is that while soaking it in fish food IS “reef safe,” dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine.

Pros - Can be soaked in fish food, making it (somewhat) reef safe.

Cons/Side Effects - In my experience, certain fish seem to have an adverse reaction to it. But these are in the minority.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HenryF

HenryF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "white stringy poop" is symptomatic of intestinal parasites. That also makes sense if your fish is not eating. If it is eating you can mix Metroplex + Focus + Food and that binds the metro, so it can be used in a reef tank.

Here's Humblefish's treatment advice:

Internal/intestinal parasites:

Symptoms - Internal parasites are also “worms,” but these target a fish’s intestines. As a result, the main symptom is white stringy poop. It has to be white; brown stringy poop, for example, can just mean intestinal irritation which requires no treatment.

Treatment options - API General Cure (a medication containing both praziquantel and metronidazole). Some species of internal worms are resistant to prazi, while others are resistant to metro, but usually not both. :wink: Seachem MetroPlex can be dosed directly in QT, or soaking fish food with it provides an alternative (and reef safe) treatment option. Two other available options are: Paracide-X (mixed in food) and Paracide-D (in-tank treatment).

Metronidazole: Treats internal parasites (worms), Brooklynella; possibly Uronema marinum.

How To Treat - Metro can be found as a stand-alone drug (ex. Metro+, Seachem MetroPlex) or incorporated into a multi-purpose medication (ex. API General Cure). It is best to soak it in the fish’s food; however it can also be dosed directly into a quarantine tank. Use until symptoms (white stringy poop) are gone.

Whether or not metro is “reef safe” is a topic for debate. The general consensus is that while soaking it in fish food IS “reef safe,” dosing it directly into the water column IS NOT and should only be done in quarantine.

Pros - Can be soaked in fish food, making it (somewhat) reef safe.

Cons/Side Effects - In my experience, certain fish seem to have an adverse reaction to it. But these are in the minority.
I will try this. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back