4E2FBB2F-6273-406E-BAF2-2BCE508B7BEA.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm in Minnesota. I've never had an aquarium before but always wanted one. I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 200. Setup is new from 12/2/22 and I love my local fish store as they are the ones setting things up and really helping me out.

I have two Davinci Clownfish (Mona and Salvator) and a Watchman Goby with a Pistol Shrimp (Tic and Tac).

The live rock came with a few tiny starfish but also some bristle worms. My wife sent me a video this morning of a possible fireworm. That's the reason I found this forum as I'm going to try the bottle-straw bristle worm trap (just need to get some shrimp).

I look forward to learning as much as I can!

David
Welcome David . Although fire worms are somewhat uncommon they are possible . Do you have a picture ?
Looking forward to seeing your build progress and mature .
feel free to post pictures , ask questions and for advice along the way

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm in Minnesota. I've never had an aquarium before but always wanted one. I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 200. Setup is new from 12/2/22 and I love my local fish store as they are the ones setting things up and really helping me out.

I have two Davinci Clownfish (Mona and Salvator) and a Watchman Goby with a Pistol Shrimp (Tic and Tac).

The live rock came with a few tiny starfish but also some bristle worms. My wife sent me a video this morning of a possible fireworm. That's the reason I found this forum as I'm going to try the bottle-straw bristle worm trap (just need to get some shrimp).

I look forward to learning as much as I can!

David
From a fellow Minnesotan welcome to R2R. If you live near the Twin Cities there are a couple very good LFS's. New Wave Aquaria and Reef Collective. You may already know about them. They are my go too places. Both have an excellent reputation. And of course there is BRS. If you need something ASAP BRS has local pickup.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trap was a spectacular underwhelming failure lol!!!

I'm hoping you just have bristle worms and not actual fire worms... trapping should be as simple as bait it with whatever you are feeding your fish ... did see earlier you were waiting for shrimp (or maybe that was someone else) but pellets tend to have an odor that attracts mine and they come running/crawling!

There are lots of DIY traps out there as well, even cut soda bottle in half, invert and worms crawl in but can't figure out how to leave

late night tweezer removal is popular pasttime here... I'm always like - some bristle worms are needed - part of CUC - don't kill them all... but I'm not always around late night to advocate for my bristle worms.

Bristle worms can still be stingy/burn if I happen to accidentally grab rock and they are between rock and my hand/fingers. Fireworms are significantly more stingy, as name implies (no personal fireworm experience - but fire coral have personal experience)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back