Votes: 19 11.1%

• Total voters

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’m new to the forum and new to saltwater. I’ve done freshwater (especially bettas, though I just lost my old dude, Sir Harrington) and now have poison dart frogs and a cat and a dog, who is super spoiled. My husband and I are big divers (my avatar is an octopus - my favorite sea creature - hiding from me on our last trip), so this is the natural next pet/hobby. My tank has cycled and today I added my first soft corals and CUC. Already got some cute hitchhikers and identified them on here as stomatella snails. (And also read about some ridiculously lucky people with octopus hitchhikers...)

I don’t plan on having a lot of fish as I love corals and my tank is not that big, but want to add a watchman goby to the tank. So I’ll ask - which of the aqua cultured watchman gobies do you recommend/prefer (tried a poll with the three I know Ora breeds)? And any luck getting them to pair with pistol shrimp? If so, what species of pistol shrimp?

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t checked out aquatic collection in Hayward you’ll find they usually carry an assorted collection of paired gobies and shrimp. You can call ahead to make sure they have a good selection if you’re making a longer drive.

Super helpful, thank you!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R fellow Bay Area-an! :)

I second the recommendation for Aquatic Collection - even though I'm out in Livermore, it's still my LFS (though "local" isn't quite true...). If you're looking for local events, be sure to check out Bay Area Reefers (I've only been to one frag swap of theirs, but it was fun and I got a fair amount of easy corals to start off my tank with for really cheap).

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R...we are scuba crazed as well. My avatar is our dive last spring in Grand Cayman, USS Kittywake. Wasn't real difficult talking my wife into a salt tank with what we see and love under the deep blue sea. Our dives have been Hawaii, Barbados, Grand Cayman, and FL gulf coast. Look forward to chating later.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Aurora!

Another Bay Area diver and new reefer here, too. My wife and I typically dive locally around Monterey and Carmel, with occasional Channel Islands trips. But we’re seemingly in Hawaii all the time to visit family and get our bubbles on!

In addition to Hayward’s Aquatic Collection, you can’t go wrong with a visit to San Jose’s Neptune Aquatics, as well. They both offer a range from $9 frags up to name-brand colonies. Both shops offer a wide selection of fish and invertebrates, with the knowledge to back up their offerings. Enjoy your LFS tour, if you haven’t already done so.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I prefer the yellow watchman goby for their color and hardiness! :)

OP
OP
aurora.k

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone! I stopped by Hayward’s aquatic collection which was awesome! Mostly impressed with the coral options and the fracking adorable paired goby/shrimp - but I really want to try to get an aquaculture watchman goby. Tomorrow I’ll check out Neptune Aquatics as I have to be in the South Bay anyway. Loving this forums and the super friendly welcome!

Kar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Bay Area as well, check out California Reef in Fremont, they have an awesome collection of SPS and LPS at very reasonable prices. Matt, the store owner is very helpful. Don’t forget to check them out.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite goby used to be the Yellow Watchman Goby, pretty hardy little fish with a great personality and easy to find. I had one for over a year before a Hawaiian reef lobster I had gotten chased him out of the tank (don't get a Hawaiian Reef Lobster, btw, they aren't reef safe by any means despite a lot of sites claiming they are).

My new favorite goby is the Randall's Goby, it acts the same as a Yellow Watchman and will bond with a pistol shrimp. They are a bit harder to find and definitely more expensive though. I also don't believe they arefully aquacultured just yet, I know mine wasn't. Here is my Randall's Goby Reginald:

Reginald01 - Copy.jpg

Welcome to R2R :)

Back