Hello from Virginia!

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,

I am completely new here and new to saltwater tanks in general. I have several years of freshwater experience, but I am still feverishly researching posts here and elsewhere out on the net to identify the parts I need now and the parts that are cool but not necessary. Some of the initial 101 posts on here are a tremendous help for listing and defining all of the parts. Not all of the aquarium listings are great about telling you what things you will still need to get after you buy a system from them. Looking to build a FOWLR for now. I don't much like the idea of putting in corals until I'm a bit better educated.

I have been looking at IM and RedSea, but I think ultimately I will go with a RedSea. I'm on a 2nd floor apartment so my current plans are to put together a Reefer XL300 because I'm not sure about weight past about 80 gallons. It's a newer apartment complex, but I figure I should be a bit cautious unless someone has thoughts on it. I had seen a post on the net somewhere stating up to 150 gallons, but that seems awfully heavy.

I had been looking at the RedSea E260, but I will likely want an in cabinet sump once I get a bit more educated on the layout and upkeep of the aquarium. It seemed a bit pointless to me to get a system with a rear unit only to upgrade to an in-cabinet unit. Plus, it will give me more options for options and additional devices as it progresses.

I figure at this point, my must haves in addition to a tank are:
  • Return pump - No idea which one to get or how to calculate the flow I will need yet.
  • Skimmer - Likely to go with a RS300 or 600 unit for the tank.
  • ATO - Some of the systems have an ATO included, but I have seen mixed reviews about the units from RS, so I have been researching other systems.
  • Lighting (RS ReefLED 90 x 2)
  • ReefWave25 - RS suggests 2 of them for a 65 gallon tank, but not sure if that is overdoing it or not.
Sorry for all the rambling. I am really in quite over my head right now, so trying to tread water until I figure it out. :cool:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

the reefwave 25s won’t overdue it. I have two 45s on my 80. Just crank down the flow rate if too much

the built in Ato, my biggest concern is volume. Do you travel? Take vacations. Those built is are usually pretty small. I can easily go through 5 gallons of evaporation in 2-3 days

the Red Sea leds…here is my only ‘warning’. I have these on my nano. They use an older WiFi band and slow down the internet for you entire house. It sucks. Plus the Red Sea app is terrible (same for reef wave). It is a pain to connect to devices. I regret buying Red Sea stuff although getting past the internet stuff, I think they are great

anyways…welcome

OP
OP
Spartan1218

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

the reefwave 25s won’t overdue it. I have two 45s on my 80. Just crank down the flow rate if too much

the built in Ato, my biggest concern is volume. Do you travel? Take vacations. Those built is are usually pretty small. I can easily go through 5 gallons of evaporation in 2-3 days

the Red Sea leds…here is my only ‘warning’. I have these on my nano. They use an older WiFi band and slow down the internet for you entire house. It sucks. Plus the Red Sea app is terrible (same for reef wave). It is a pain to connect to devices. I regret buying Red Sea stuff although getting past the internet stuff, I think they are great

anyways…welcome
I am looking for a decent ATO that I can trust and even with a smaller tank, I am looking to go with a 15 gallon reservoir.

If the LEDs use the 2.4 Ghz band, that's fine. I use a 5 Ghz band in my apartment. Are there any lighting systems that you think I should look at instead? I am happy to look into anything as a possibility at this point since I have not yet purchased anything.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back