Hello from Vt

Jack D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Vermont !!! I am thinking about starting a saltwater setup for my grandkids (13&11) and myself , they have a fresh water now . I was thinking about 50 gal . I don’t want to spend a lot but I do want new . I was hoping to get some feed back on where to get good price on equipment,fish and accessory ‘s . Also what would be the easiest way to go , I think just fish but I would like to get some clown fish and the wavy coral they live in ( sorry don’t know they real name ) any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Jack

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I would strongly suggest giving these threads a read through :)
The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Aquarium
Cycling A Saltwater Aquarium
Acclimation and Quarantine
ezgif-2-87e260e22b7f.gif

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Vermont !!! I am thinking about starting a saltwater setup for my grandkids (13&11) and myself , they have a fresh water now . I was thinking about 50 gal . I don’t want to spend a lot but I do want new . I was hoping to get some feed back on where to get good price on equipment,fish and accessory ‘s . Also what would be the easiest way to go , I think just fish but I would like to get some clown fish and the wavy coral they live in ( sorry don’t know they real name ) any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Jack

Hello, Hola, Shalom and Namaste [emoji120] Jack.
Good Morning and Welcome to R2R!!!

Nov and December are the times to checkout for equipment. All major retailers will have sale now.

I recommend AIO for an easy startup and some softies. Good lights for sure. I recently purchased Waterbox 50 gallon AIO. Also check out JBJ 60 flat panel. DrFosterandSmith sometimes run promotions on JBJ products @ 20% MSRP. But checkout Bulkreefsupply, marinedepot, saltwateraquarium for sales. These 2 are the months.

To begin with
A. AIO Tank, Stand
B. ATO
C. Lights
D. Some test kits, Refractometer
E. Dryrock and sand

Hope this helps. Good luck and HAPPY REEFING

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Jack D

You've come to the right place for helpful advice from both members and an awesome Staff.

You will love the salty side of things but a bit more patience is needed on purchasing/keeping anemones for the clownfish. But it is rewarding and your grandchildren will also love the adventure and journey.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. Now is a good time with black Friday coming to snag some deals. Pet smart usually has a dollar per gallon sale for the tank. Fish only would be cheaper. Most people advise a stable tank that has been running for awhile before you get an anemone (clown Fish wavy home) and there is no guarantee they will host it. Mine could care less about the one in their ta k.
excited.gif

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I'm not far from you. I live in Brandon. I think a 40 to 50 gallon tank would be a good size.

For LFS around here it is pretty sparse. You can get some tanks and basic supplies at Petco in Rutland. The Pet Advantage up in South Burlington is a decent pet store as well as Green Mountain Corals in Waterbury, that store is all saltwater and a little on the small side, mostly livestock, but great livestock.

I tend to buy most if not all my dry goods online these days and even some corals.

Definately think of me as a local resource, I can drill tanks if needed. I have some bits and pieces, like dry rock and sand I'll give you. I have lots of soft corals as well as a good LPS you can get frags of once you are established.

Good Luck, Al

Last edited:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Jack
Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
Jack D

Jack D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I'm not far from you. I live in Brandon. I think a 40 to 50 gallon tank would be a good size.

For LFS around here it is pretty sparse. You can get some tanks and basic supplies at Petco in Rutland. The Pet Advantage up in South Burlington is a decent pet store as well as Green Mountain Corals in Waterbury, that store is all saltwater and a little on the small side, mostly livestock, but great livestock.

I tend to buy most if not all my dry goods online these days and even some corals.

Definately think of me as a local resource, I can drill tanks if needed. I have some bits and pieces, like dry rock and sand I'll give you. I have lots of soft corals as well as a good LPS you can get frags of once you are established.

Good Luck, Al
Thanks Al we are moving to a new place in the beginning of Dec then my wife and I are going back to Jersey for Christmas so I will probably start it the first of the year but I will definitely Hit you up and pick you brain thank !!! Do you ski ???

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R! I use to live in Connecticut so I would travel to Killington, Stratton, Okemo, Mad River Glen, Sugarbush and parents had a chalet at Mount Snow! A lot of good skiing!
Now as for your saltwater aquarium endeavors, if you needed skis, North Face jackets, gloves, hats, bindings and/or googles your all set. However, I can’t recall ever seeing a pet shop that featured saltwater, or aquarium fish and supplies for that matter.
You would probably be better off purchasing a package deal which includes your light, filter, stand, pump and tank. Biocube, Red Sea, Fluval, JBJ and Cobalt sets may be up your alley.
I would look around for deals especially with the Holidays approaching. Read about various biotopes and various corals, inverts and fish that you would enjoy that are easy to maintain and would coexist together. Don’t just jump into the marine hobby by making rash decisions or you will sorry you did. Nothing worse than being excited about the hobby and what it could have been only to be upset and dejected like falling when you tried to get on the chairlift for the first time.
I wish you the best of luck...go slow, read, ask questions and enjoy everything the marine hobby has to offer you and your family!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back