Hello from Wisco!

r33fermaddness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Just made the plunge into this with the acquisition of a secondhand reef tank that had been emptied by a guy who went off to college; Dad said, “he’s in college, he doesn’t need this stuff anymore.” His loss, my gain! :D
I’ve done quite a bit of reading and research into saltwater tanks, probably not close to enough, but I think I stumbled onto quite a stellar deal in my opinion.
He was selling a 90g plumbed tank with overflow, nice solid wooden cabinet stand, 100-125lbs of (what was once) live rock (which he informed me needed to be cured as it had been infested with organic matter and sat in a bucket for months), a fairly basic acrylic sump which from my guesstimating measures to be roughly 60g (dimensions 30x12x16”) and some fairly used equipment like a couple heaters, a return pump, a decent Fluval LED light (not sure of the model, but it’s older), some piping and other random accessories. All for, wait for it... 200$! I thought I couldn’t pass that deal up, but correct me if I’m wrong I guess.
Only caveat being, as mentioned the tank had been out of commission for some time; I have some work cut out for me, nothing too complicated though.
The center brace of the top frame is cracked, so I’ll be ordering a new one and replacing it. The tank, sump and rock is all covered in all sorts of nastiness, which I’ll be soaking and cleaning with vinegar, although I have questions about curing the rock which I’ll post separately. I’ll probably add some baffles to the sump, possibly isolating part of it completely as a top off reservoir, I’d like to contain all the equipment (skimmer, heater(s), reactor(s), fuge, and anything else I’m not thinking of in it.
I’m sure more work will present itself along the way, but for now I’m focused on getting things cleaned and cured, and gathering the rest of the equipment needed. As you can imagine, this will be a long journey as I have a lot of rather expensive equipment on my list before I even get to cycling.
Looking forward to sharing the journey with you guys, and I’m sure lots and lots of questions! I’ll be posting a build thread eventually starting from square one.

Thanks for reading!

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must see build thread!!! Sound like a great deal at 200 along with some elbow grease.

All or most of the mistakes have been made here, so all we need to do is search or ask before we do something. R2R is a vibrant community from what I've seen so far.

I would suggest to do some research on that rock. Does cure mean that you would have to bake it? Its really not worth bringing whatever nasties he had in that tank prior to you getting to it.

Best of luck to you! Looking forward to seeing your reef

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef !

Being new to hobby is a fun and exciting time! If you are looking for some more info to binge possibly my YouTube channel could be helpful! New channel, but would your support! Cheers and welcome.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back