Hello! My name is....

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

My name is Mark and I am from Maine. For the past several years I have been wanting an aquarium but have lacked the space and resources to do that. However, I am not in a place where this has become possible. I am excited to be getting started in the Hobby, and look forward to all the fun and not so fun aspects of reefing.

My current plan is to run a Fluval Evo 13.5. I will be upgrading the light slightly to the Fluval Marine 3.0. I have all the essential equipment to get started (tank, light, pump, heater, etc). I will also be adding a small wavemaker for just a touch of extra flow (would be open to any and all recommendations (this is my current option: ).

As far as the tank goes I will be starting my cycle soon with live sand and dry rock. I found a great LFS that has been very helpful and that will be providing me with both my SW and RODI water. I am going to go slow and allow the tank to cycle for as long as needed, hopefully 4-6 weeks. I then plan to add a small CUC as recommended by the LFS, and then a couple of hardy softy corals. The plan for this tank is to be a softie tank, with room for an LPS or two as it matures. No SPS for me :)

The livestock plan is to have one yellow clown goby and a shrimp of some kind. The local store has some gorgeous fireblood shrimp available, but I've also looked at getting a skunk or peppermint shrimp. I would love to add a clown fish, but would only add one instead of a pair.

That's the plan for now. I wish I could go bigger with the tank as my first tank but I am excited none the less. A lot of research and patience is the motto going forward.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey everyone!

My name is Mark and I am from Maine. For the past several years I have been wanting an aquarium but have lacked the space and resources to do that. However, I am not in a place where this has become possible. I am excited to be getting started in the Hobby, and look forward to all the fun and not so fun aspects of reefing.

My current plan is to run a Fluval Evo 13.5. I will be upgrading the light slightly to the Fluval Marine 3.0. I have all the essential equipment to get started (tank, light, pump, heater, etc). I will also be adding a small wavemaker for just a touch of extra flow (would be open to any and all recommendations (this is my current option: ).

As far as the tank goes I will be starting my cycle soon with live sand and dry rock. I found a great LFS that has been very helpful and that will be providing me with both my SW and RODI water. I am going to go slow and allow the tank to cycle for as long as needed, hopefully 4-6 weeks. I then plan to add a small CUC as recommended by the LFS, and then a couple of hardy softy corals. The plan for this tank is to be a softie tank, with room for an LPS or two as it matures. No SPS for me :)

The livestock plan is to have one yellow clown goby and a shrimp of some kind. The local store has some gorgeous fireblood shrimp available, but I've also looked at getting a skunk or peppermint shrimp. I would love to add a clown fish, but would only add one instead of a pair.

That's the plan for now. I wish I could go bigger with the tank as my first tank but I am excited none the less. A lot of research and patience is the motto going forward.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Welcome aboard! For softies only, you will be good with the stock light for some time, so you could save some money there. Very reasonable stocking list! For a smaller tank, you could swap the clown goby for a randall pistol shrimp and a shrimp goby of your liking. They can be very entertaining.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! For softies only, you will be good with the stock light for some time, so you could save some money there. Very reasonable stocking list! For a smaller tank, you could swap the clown goby for a randall pistol shrimp and a shrimp goby of your liking. They can be very entertaining.
I had thought about this but saw somewhere pistols should be kept in a larger tank. You think 13.5 is big enough though?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll love it, it's a great way to have a little slice of ocean in your home. make sure to start a build thread so we can follow along we all love seeing the different tanks and journeys and it's a good way for you to look back and see your progress, time flies!

that's a good wave maker for the $$ I have one in a sump it actually moves quite a bit of water so it will be perfect for the 13.5

that's a good stocking list and good starter tank too, you will be happy with that until you get the upgrade itch...everyone does eventually, it's natural lol
I started with a 10g then a 20g and the story continues!

good luck and welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
MarkTrysReefing

MarkTrysReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll love it, it's a great way to have a little slice of ocean in your home. make sure to start a build thread so we can follow along we all love seeing the different tanks and journeys and it's a good way for you to look back and see your progress, time flies!

that's a good wave maker for the $$ I have one in a sump it actually moves quite a bit of water so it will be perfect for the 13.5

that's a good stocking list and good starter tank too, you will be happy with that until you get the upgrade itch...everyone does eventually, it's natural lol
I started with a 10g then a 20g and the story continues!

good luck and welcome to R2R!!!
That’s great news! I’ll snag that wave maker soon, but probably not until cycling is close to done. The limiting factor on my upgrade itch is the space right now but I see a nice large tank somewhere down the line.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great news! I’ll snag that wave maker soon, but probably not until cycling is close to done. The limiting factor on my upgrade itch is the space right now but I see a nice large tank somewhere down the line.
don't overlook having multiple small tanks lol ;)

the 40breeder is a great small/ medium tank that was my first larger tank and I really like the footprint .

good luck with the project!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back