OP
M

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys, how many watts would you guys consider adequate for my situation? Is multiple heaters better than just the 1 or 2? I've been mostly following Facebook groups and have noticed on there that's something of a trend, using multiple smaller heaters instead of the larger ones.
The eheim 300w was I believe 19" and a little too snug for the sump, as per the marinedepot lady, she recommended a a few neotherms... first thing I noticed was obviously the price spike from the eheims, 2nd thing that came to mind was a couple of threads online on them exploding, which turned me off to them even after she told me that's all she and everyone at the office uses. Will look into the ones you mentioned, but curious to what wattage I should be shooting for and if multiples are better than the one.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys, how many watts would you guys consider adequate for my situation? Is multiple heaters better than just the 1 or 2? I've been mostly following Facebook groups and have noticed on there that's something of a trend, using multiple smaller heaters instead of the larger ones.
The eheim 300w was I believe 19" and a little too snug for the sump, as per the marinedepot lady, she recommended a a few neotherms... first thing I noticed was obviously the price spike from the eheims, 2nd thing that came to mind was a couple of threads online on them exploding, which turned me off to them even after she told me that's all she and everyone at the office uses. Will look into the ones you mentioned, but curious to what wattage I should be shooting for and if multiples are better than the one.
I have a 120 gal DT and I use 2 200w finnex heaters, I like to have redundancy.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
262e5fd8cf9b3fbce648d36f3ad1e5ad.jpg

Dimmy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the heaters and the controller, surprised they're priced considerably lower than the neotherm
They are very reasonable. I did have one fail but I bought another FInnex to replace. Definitely have two. When one failed the second heater kept the tank at the right temp.

OP
OP
M

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very reasonable. I did have one fail but I bought another FInnex to replace. Definitely have two. When one failed the second heater kept the tank at the right temp.
Did you have 2 controllers as well? Looks like the controller only has 1 port and an 800w max capacity as per the specs, so a 2nd one would require a 2nd controller or how did you work that out?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Looks like you are already on the right path. Finnex makes some good titanium ones that you can control externally. I personally like the Cobalt Neotherms. Some have reported a previous revision exploding, but they seem to be good now. I have a main and spare in my tank at all times, and my APEX decides which one is on and has code that helps me shut them off if they show signs of failure. The great thing is that they are epoxy filled internally, and they are more prone to fail in the off position which is what you want.

OP
OP
M

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Looks like you are already on the right path. Finnex makes some good titanium ones that you can control externally. I personally like the Cobalt Neotherms. Some have reported a previous revision exploding, but they seem to be good now. I have a main and spare in my tank at all times, and my APEX decides which one is on and has code that helps me shut them off if they show signs of failure. The great thing is that they are epoxy filled internally, and they are more prone to fail in the off position which is what you want.
I like the idea of an apex, will probably look into it down the road but since moving my wife has decided to get all new furniture for every room, including living and dining, I managed to splurge out around 8k on necesities and I've already spent 6 on tank setup with the 2 pieces of equipment so I have to tread lightly if I want this tank up on move in date.
Didnt realize rocks were so expensive, which is why I opted on dry rock. The 3 or 4 pieces of equipment left will probably ring me out another 1500 and then the long wait for the cycle... maybe I will be able to get something to speed up the cycle but something tells me to just be patient.
Initially I had 3 or 4 different systems in mind including red sea and sca but for one reason or another decided on waterbox... red sea I didnt end up getting because they were sold out everywhere I looked and sca was promising but didnt see a peninsula style so waterbox it is. Either way it's already ordered so no use thinking about what could have been, right?
I thought 8k would be ample amount of money but after I started pulling some triggers I noticed how quickly in this hobby money goes lol.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back