OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go live rock 100%. Start with what you want in the end. Why spend all this money now with the intent of spending MORE later?
Everyone has a favorite brand for this and that piece of equipment brand names are just that...names. I love my reef keeper, but that's tech. A good sump stocked with some yummy green algae is your BEST tool. Then sit back and be patient. The "live" rock is going to cycle your tank from day one. You need those "hitch hikers" to "pop the clutch" as is my favorite image when I need to just get into a project. Contact your fishy friends and see if they will share some of their substrate, rock, or green algae from their tanks in the beginning you just need bacteria to work with. You WILL have a disgusting bloom of slimy red cryo[sh$<] don't panic, and a brown dusty looking coating on everything. IN THIS STAGE don't sweat it! It means your getting close to a healthy, life sustaining marine aquarium.
Consider researching vinegar and/vodka, yes as in booze.
I know this is long but be patient, I made SO many mistakes and lost so many fish and cried every time. Everything that goes in your tank is new, plastic or stainless steel and it NEVER gets used anywhere else...including towels or linens. Wash them in light bleach or vinegar ONLY and NO dryer sheets (forgot that twice). NO air fresheners or candles anywhere near your system OR any ( OR ONLY, EVER, EVER TAP) water change water. did that once. Fought White Slime decrease for months. Wash filter socks by themselves in washer with light bleach separate from any other filters. TEST TEST TEST. Once your system is balanced you'll be a little relaxed and you can see from your tank family if anything is "off" and can go back to bi-monthly.
'If your fishy family's happy and you know it....clap your hands!! If is not and know it, test the water....again.' ok, so the ending falls flat, but you get it. If there is dissension in these learned ranks, then I'm wrong and would love the input. These are just things I've learned over the last 3 years. I can finally say I'm getting the hang of it. Oh yeah.... lighting strongest NOW!! Don't "upgrade later" start RIGHT all the way
FYI I get filter socks and a lot of my simple aquarium supplies from wish.com
Liveaquaria.com has a 15 day guarantee on fish, no matter what kills them, 30 on coral. I will not work with anyone else. Dr. Fosters is indispensable. Large variety of captive bred
Heather
Hi Heather do you have a Red Sea Reefer? if you do the size of the filter socks is 4.5" x 10" all i can find in wish is not that measurement :S
i already got the live rock from the guy at the LFS, also i don't know what you mean by vodka how do i use it apart from drinking it? what does it do? and you mean never put tap water? the guy at my LFS actually sells sea water so i don't have to do the mixing which i know costs more but is more efficient
and i top off the stock ATO with RO water that i get from him, soon ill be making my own.
what other aquarium supplies do you get from wish.com?
i am trying to buy the best stuff for the tank so i don't have to worry later although it will take some time low on money at the moment

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go live rock 100%. Start with what you want in the end. Why spend all this money now with the intent of spending MORE later?
Everyone has a favorite brand for this and that piece of equipment brand names are just that...names. I love my reef keeper, but that's tech. A good sump stocked with some yummy green algae is your BEST tool. Then sit back and be patient. The "live" rock is going to cycle your tank from day one. You need those "hitch hikers" to "pop the clutch" as is my favorite image when I need to just get into a project. Contact your fishy friends and see if they will share some of their substrate, rock, or green algae from their tanks in the beginning you just need bacteria to work with. You WILL have a disgusting bloom of slimy red cryo[sh$<] don't panic, and a brown dusty looking coating on everything. IN THIS STAGE don't sweat it! It means your getting close to a healthy, life sustaining marine aquarium.
Consider researching vinegar and/vodka, yes as in booze.
I know this is long but be patient, I made SO many mistakes and lost so many fish and cried every time. Everything that goes in your tank is new, plastic or stainless steel and it NEVER gets used anywhere else...including towels or linens. Wash them in light bleach or vinegar ONLY and NO dryer sheets (forgot that twice). NO air fresheners or candles anywhere near your system OR any ( OR ONLY, EVER, EVER TAP) water change water. did that once. Fought White Slime decrease for months. Wash filter socks by themselves in washer with light bleach separate from any other filters. TEST TEST TEST. Once your system is balanced you'll be a little relaxed and you can see from your tank family if anything is "off" and can go back to bi-monthly.
'If your fishy family's happy and you know it....clap your hands!! If is not and know it, test the water....again.' ok, so the ending falls flat, but you get it. If there is dissension in these learned ranks, then I'm wrong and would love the input. These are just things I've learned over the last 3 years. I can finally say I'm getting the hang of it. Oh yeah.... lighting strongest NOW!! Don't "upgrade later" start RIGHT all the way
FYI I get filter socks and a lot of my simple aquarium supplies from wish.com
Liveaquaria.com has a 15 day guarantee on fish, no matter what kills them, 30 on coral. I will not work with anyone else. Dr. Fosters is indispensable. Large variety of captive bred
Heather
problem with live aquaria for me is that i live in an appartment and don't know how they handle live things

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This are my parameters after my first test what do you guys think?

IMG_6593.PNG

IMG_6594.PNG

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrite, temp and salinity? I am patiently waiting for my water to become stable. Mine is only 4 weeks into the process. I've been keeping my tank at 78° and salinity at 1.026 although I read something yesterday that caused me to consider raising both.
Vodka helps with the patience when imbibed it can also be used for carbon dosing. I don't use it, in my tank, but others do.

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are ur nirites?
What are your nitrite, temp and salinity? I am patiently waiting for my water to become stable. Mine is only 4 weeks into the process. I've been keeping my tank at 78° and salinity at 1.026 although I read something yesterday that caused me to consider raising both.
Vodka helps with the patience when imbibed it can also be used for carbon dosing. I don't use it, in my tank, but others do.
Hey Brett_schn and Moseley75 do the API freshwater nitrite work on salt water?
my temp is at 75 and salinity i have no idea how to check any advice on what should i buy?

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are not the most accurate. U could use them but definitely not recommended and u will most likely get flamed on here most likely
what brand do you recommend? i did the nitrite test and got 0

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what brand do you recommend? i did the nitrite test and got 0

Hanna checkers if u can afford them but in the long run they are the cheapest. I heard Red Sea is good that’s what I’m going with and there is another brand that I can’t remember the name

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and never ever use the api test kits for anything.
If you are first starting out then I don't see anything wrong with API. I still use them a little bit myself but that because I myself am still fairly new. As you progress more into it and start getting livestock (fish/corals) then you will probably want to look at a more accurate testing system. I know people that have been in saltwater tanks for decades and a couple of them still use API. It just a matter of what you like and how serious of a reefer you are.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Red Sea tests there are other good ones just not api. I recommend you get a light bulb that has a color rating of 6500 Kelvin to read them under. $6 at Lowe's.
You should check out BRstv 52 weeks of reefing. 52 short YouTube videos. Lots of valuable information

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the next couple weeks ill stick with the API and take a water sample overtime i go to the LFS to get it tested for free. i will save some money to get the red sea tests which ones do i need?

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start w/ the marine care kit from Red Sea and a good quality refractometer.

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will be buying the refractometer tomorrow, as of the red kit ill wait a bit.
What do you guys think about the jebao wave maker? i know its chinese and the cheap price any advice??

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look at Salifert test kits. They are accurate and cost less than Red Sea.
I was planning on purchasing a jebao pump before I found a MP10W on the "for sale" thread. I don't have first hand experience but read good reviews.
I have gotten some good equipment and saved quite a few dollars by watching this thread. You have to be patient though. I wanted a pb4 for my controller. Ordered one from BRS and one came up for sale the next day. Would have saved about 30%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been checking the reviews on the Jebao and almost all seem to work for 5-6 months and then stop working
i have been searching the for sale threads and haven't been able to find anything
tested my water today you can see the results in my signature
what do you guys think
i bought a couple fish today asked the guy at the LFS to double check my water and see if it was good to put a couple fish in it
bought 5 chromis, 3 firefish, and 1 diamond goby as well as 2 sand sifting stars, 2 emerald crabs, couple snails and hermit crabs, and 2 fire clams i think thats how they are called
as well as a torch hammer, a mushroom not sure about the name, a monti, and 2 that i don't remember the name any help identifying them?
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG
IMG_6351.JPG
IMG_6349.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG
IMG_6345.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex