Hello R2R'rs

KrustyCrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I wanted to introduce myself as I recently signed up on this forum. My name is TJ and my family and I are ocean loving people who have been keeping saltwater fish since 1998. It started when I purchased a 125g glass aquarium which I built a custom stand and canopy for. We’ve owned a number of different fish in the years following including Dogface Puffers, Spiny Puffers, Snowflake Eels, various large wrasses, tangs and triggerfish. Up until about three years ago we just maintained the FOWLR as I didn’t think we were able to afford the more expensive lighting and filtration that a reef would require for that tank. We did purchase a smaller 24g JBJ in 2012 which we did up in a reef tank with some different soft and LPS corals and small fish. I really liked the success we had with the smaller reef critters and corals available in the trade, so I upsized and upgraded to a 40B w/ refugium. I have put a bit of money into this (as now I am able) to get what I wanted and so far so good. I have had this new set-up going for about two months now and things are going as well as I hoped. My two kids and I worked on installing the required plumbing for the glass 40B tank as well as put together a new stand and a refugium kit we bought online. We’ve got a great couple LFS’s which we acquire all our livestock from and have been diligent in making sure we have no parasites and diseases introduced into the main DT. Here are some photos of both our set-ups.
clip_image001.jpg

40B build
clip_image002.jpg

40B with reef critters
clip_image003.jpg

125g FOWLR tank
clip_image004.jpg

125g FOWLR tank display
I’m looking forward to learning more here as I go and hopefully give some assistance to others in the forum when I can.
Happy Reefing all!!

Attachments

• 40B.jpg
    40B.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 40B with critters.jpg
    40B with critters.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 125g FOWLR tank.jpg
    125g FOWLR tank.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 125g FOWLR tank display.jpg
    125g FOWLR tank display.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 169

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home and wow those look great!!

OP
OP
KrustyCrab

KrustyCrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I love the corona back ground on the tank in the picture that's cool.
Thanks.........I see from your profile you use the AI Hydra 26's. How do you like them? I am using one with the director for the 40B and plan on getting one more for better coverage.

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I was using reef breeders and when I switched my corals open bigger now and seem to grow quicker. I bought one new and the fan didn't work I called them and they sent a new fan and didn't ask for a bill of sale or nothing and I had it 4 days later. Super customer service. Thats all I'm going to buy from now on. I do use it with my Apex. I had some trouble setting it up because it needed to be updated once I figured it out now it's perfect.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R looking good:D

OP
OP
KrustyCrab

KrustyCrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I do like the customer service as well. I was missing the wifi adapter in an unopened box and they were going to send another but the seller on amazon offered to replace it anyway. I'm also saving for the Apex Neptune next. That set-up is not cheap though. I first saw it on Tanked when they set-up a system at the boys club in LA for Mario Lopez. Looked pretty cool!

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Apex but I was going to buy a reef angel after using the Apex I'm glad I changed my mind and buy an Apex I got the Apex with the lab grade probe which is 550.00 reef dynamics had a 10% sale so I got it for 500.00 but I really think it was not suppose to be on sale someone messed up and they took two weeks before they mailed it but they did and its been great. I say that because whenever you see a sale it always excludes neptune products.

OP
OP
KrustyCrab

KrustyCrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, 500 bucks for a probe...........but I know about all that expensive lab equipment as I work in the drinking water quality monitoring business. It is all expensive stuff but well worth it when you have valuable corals and fish to protect and keep healthy. My wife has been raising her eyebrows lately with all our new purchases :p

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the whole system was 550.00 for the one with the lab grade probe and 525.00 for the system with a reg. probe. I don't have 500.00 to spend on just a probe sorry for the mix up on that. You know they have different packages.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community, very nice looking tank!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 44 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 38 22.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 41 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back