Hello Reefers - newbie here

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - found the forum when researching the hobby and deciding on when and how to make the jump. Fascinated with it so far.

Right now the general thought is to start with an AIO. Was looking at the IM 25. I don’t have a ton of space but want the tank to be big enough to keep me happy for a couple of years until I purchase a bigger house. Thought I’d start FOWLR, I’d like to start with a couple of clowns and find some complimentary species, some cleaners, etc then start to foray into soft corals and maybe eventually down the line some sps. I find the idea of corals to be fascinating, but I have no problem going slow to get there, though.

I guess no real questions at the moment, other than what is a “must” to start out outside of the included components with the AIO. Sounds like a heater is a good idea, then add more as I venture past FOWLR? Also - I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there but does the IM 25 seem like a reasonable choice for my plan?

TIA guys, nice to meet everyone.

p.s.: if anyone in the Chicago burbs or Chicago, can I get the IM 25 local anywhere that you know of? May just order online but would prefer to support local biz if possible

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! If you haven't read this article yet, then you may want to check it out:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group here at R2R.

While I was in the process, the first thing I’d do is buy some rock, put it in a bucket with a bit of flow and add a bottle of bacteria.

Let’s get that part cooking.

Get as big as you can afford and have space for.

Enjoy the ride.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You found the place to get your started reefing.

C65FC3C6-F16A-4900-8ACC-01EDB09F86F2.gif

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group here at R2R.

While I was in the process, the first thing I’d do is buy some rock, put it in a bucket with a bit of flow and add a bottle of bacteria.

Let’s get that part cooking.

Get as big as you can afford and have space for.

Enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the tip to get rolling
Rock On GIF by Team Coco

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! If you haven't read this article yet, then you may want to check it out:

Thanks! Consuming as much as I can and hadn’t seen this one yet :)

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bienvenido! Agree with getting rock cooking UNLESS you want to get creative and Aquascape? Either way welcome aboard and enjoy the process
Any advantage to getting some “base” rock cooking and scape with other dry rock? Interested in aquascaping for a nice layout for sure

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advantage to getting some “base” rock cooking and scape with other dry rock? Interested in aquascaping for a nice layout for sure
Sure you can go that route, just make sure you give yourself room for your aquascape. I have rock on the way right now and my 150 is empty waiting for it. I plan on aquascaping for the first time. Then I'll cook it or maybe do it right in the tank?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back