Hello Reefers - newbie here

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the plunge. Ordered my IM Lagoon 25 tonight + a heater. Also picked up an RO/DI from the marine depot liquidation (thanks flyfisher2). Now just need some rock - any preferred vendors? Otherwise I’ll see what some LFS’s have.

edit*:I guess salt mix too if there are any that are better than others

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - found the forum when researching the hobby and deciding on when and how to make the jump. Fascinated with it so far.

Right now the general thought is to start with an AIO. Was looking at the IM 25. I don’t have a ton of space but want the tank to be big enough to keep me happy for a couple of years until I purchase a bigger house. Thought I’d start FOWLR, I’d like to start with a couple of clowns and find some complimentary species, some cleaners, etc then start to foray into soft corals and maybe eventually down the line some sps. I find the idea of corals to be fascinating, but I have no problem going slow to get there, though.

I guess no real questions at the moment, other than what is a “must” to start out outside of the included components with the AIO. Sounds like a heater is a good idea, then add more as I venture past FOWLR? Also - I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there but does the IM 25 seem like a reasonable choice for my plan?

TIA guys, nice to meet everyone.

p.s.: if anyone in the Chicago burbs or Chicago, can I get the IM 25 local anywhere that you know of? May just order online but would prefer to support local biz if possible
Welcome!

Glad you joined

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the plunge. Ordered my IM Lagoon 25 tonight + a heater. Also picked up an RO/DI from the marine depot liquidation (thanks flyfisher2). Now just need some rock - any preferred vendors? Otherwise I’ll see what some LFS’s have.

edit*:I guess salt mix too if there are any that are better than others
Bulk Reef Supply did a video evaluation of salt mixes (more with an eye towards storage of saltwater before use), and they all seem about the same. Initially, it doesn't matter. When I first started out and had only fish, I used to use Instant Ocean.

IMO it doesn't matter what you use to start, but as you introduce corals and they are taking out needed elements, then you'll dose those nutrients. I'm still able to get by with using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, with only minimal dosing between 10% water changes. Keep it simple in the beginning, take your time and research, as you've been doing

You are asking all the right questions and doing the right things, so I look forward to hearing about your successes! In this hobby, we have setbacks, but treat them as learning opportunities and just push through. You are doing GREAT!!

OP
OP
BonsaiDave

BonsaiDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply did a video evaluation of salt mixes (more with an eye towards storage of saltwater before use), and they all seem about the same. Initially, it doesn't matter. When I first started out and had only fish, I used to use Instant Ocean.

IMO it doesn't matter what you use to start, but as you introduce corals and they are taking out needed elements, then you'll dose those nutrients. I'm still able to get by with using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, with only minimal dosing between 10% water changes. Keep it simple in the beginning, take your time and research, as you've been doing

You are asking all the right questions and doing the right things, so I look forward to hearing about your successes! In this hobby, we have setbacks, but treat them as learning opportunities and just push through. You are doing GREAT!!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Sounds like there are salt mixes that plus up those nutrients so that they can be added without extra dosing (that’s what you are doing with the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt?). I’m planning on softies/LPS eventually (though I imagine this may change over time normally) so I guess I’ll figure out what makes sense then and get something off the shelf for now.

On your note on setbacks - I feel you there. I think I’m likely to get attached to some of my livestock so just trying to minimize the loss of life odds as much as I can. I figure that going slow, good testing, good source should hopefully give me the best odds.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!!!
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Caution: Unsolicited Advice coming!!

Although I understand the appeal of an AIO (simplicity, cost, slightly more predictable costs), I am not a fan. It limits your ability to customize to your specific needs and path forward. Think of it as the pickup truck. Good all around but limited if you need to haul really big things or go super fast. I looked at an AIO and thought the same thing...however, luckily the person who ordered the tank messed up and just got a traditional sump model with overflow. I am so thankful given all of the customization that I needed to do.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - found the forum when researching the hobby and deciding on when and how to make the jump. Fascinated with it so far.

Right now the general thought is to start with an AIO. Was looking at the IM 25. I don’t have a ton of space but want the tank to be big enough to keep me happy for a couple of years until I purchase a bigger house. Thought I’d start FOWLR, I’d like to start with a couple of clowns and find some complimentary species, some cleaners, etc then start to foray into soft corals and maybe eventually down the line some sps. I find the idea of corals to be fascinating, but I have no problem going slow to get there, though.

I guess no real questions at the moment, other than what is a “must” to start out outside of the included components with the AIO. Sounds like a heater is a good idea, then add more as I venture past FOWLR? Also - I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there but does the IM 25 seem like a reasonable choice for my plan?

p.s.: if anyone in the Chicago burbs or Chicago, can I get the IM 25 local anywhere that you know of? May just order online but would prefer to support local biz if possible
Welcome to R2R!!!

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 11

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back