OP
O

Old Time SW Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! Welcome to R2R!

Funny, my JBJ 45 Flat Panel should arrive tomorrow, so I would love to see some pictures of yours!
The flat panel JBJ is a nice tank but just be aware of a couple of things. First, mine had two large bags of carbon just thrown into the body of the tank which created quite a mess. There was carbon dust everywhere. One would think the carbon would have been in a seperate sealed bag as is the norm. JBJ does not do a very good job of securing items inside the tank. One of the pumps had come apart from banging around and the ceramic shaft broke rendering it useless.

Something chipped the tops of the baffles in the sump area and there was a nasty glass splinter that punctured my finger and broke off in the wound. That required a trip to the ER to fix. I didn't notice the chips right away due to all the black carbon dust covering everything. Just be careful and inspect everything thoroughly before you start reaching around inside the tank. Hopefully, yours will be better prepared for shipping. I'm hoping that JBJ got the message as I shared my experience with their CS dept, and yours will arrive in much better shape.

Tip #2: The height of the two overflow chamber areas is greater in the flat panel than in the rounded corner version (biotope) so the after market media basket manufactured by In Tank for the "JBJ rimless 45" will not work in your "JBJ rimless 45" as it is a full 2.25 inches too short. In tank makes no distinction between the two versions of the same tank in their specs for the basket so unless they introduce one for the flat panel don't waste your money.

Sorry, I didn't want to take some of the excitement out of a new tank but the above is important information. My retailer was excellent about handling the matter so no financial loss. As mentioned previously, I hope JBJ has taken steps to correct the situation I encountered so you don't experience any of the above.

Sounds great! Welcome to R2R!

Funny, my JBJ 45 Flat Panel should arrive tomorrow, so I would love to see some pictures of yours!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flat panel JBJ is a nice tank but just be aware of a couple of things. First, mine had two large bags of carbon just thrown into the body of the tank which created quite a mess. There was carbon dust everywhere. One would think the carbon would have been in a seperate sealed bag as is the norm. JBJ does not do a very good job of securing items inside the tank. One of the pumps had come apart from banging around and the ceramic shaft broke rendering it useless.

Something chipped the tops of the baffles in the sump area and there was a nasty glass splinter that punctured my finger and broke off in the wound. That required a trip to the ER to fix. I didn't notice the chips right away due to all the black carbon dust covering everything. Just be careful and inspect everything thoroughly before you start reaching around inside the tank. Hopefully, yours will be better prepared for shipping. I'm hoping that JBJ got the message as I shared my experience with their CS dept, and yours will arrive in much better shape.

Tip #2: The height of the two overflow chamber areas is greater in the flat panel than in the rounded corner version (biotope) so the after market media basket manufactured by In Tank for the "JBJ rimless 45" will not work in your "JBJ rimless 45" as it is a full 2.25 inches too short. In tank makes no distinction between the two versions of the same tank in their specs for the basket so unless they introduce one for the flat panel don't waste your money.

Sorry, I didn't want to take some of the excitement out of a new tank but the above is important information. My retailer was excellent about handling the matter so no financial loss. As mentioned previously, I hope JBJ has taken steps to correct the situation I encountered so you don't experience any of the above.

I hear your frustration. The tank I am receiving is actually my third attempt from JBJ. The other two came with damage to the bottom pane. Yes, the carbon has made a mess in each one.

Thanks for the reply!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings new family of R2R!

Another old salt here in NC. Odd, my last place where I had several tanks was a massive undertaking for strength and I'll post a pic of mine under crawl space.

Now, I have a slab as well as you once had and do not do the 300g plus any longer...arg.

Marine Biologists are good to know. ;)

100_8184_zps6f2b854f.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the InTank Fuge Basket for the RL-45. I tested it tonight and it fits fine on the 45 Flat Panel second chamber. The handle is below the water line. Steve from InTank suggested raising the base a couple of inches. If I feel I need to raise it I may use egg crate or acrylic rods.

These were the measurements if anyone is ever searching:

JBJ 45-FP Second Chambers
Dimensions: 3 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 14”

InTank Fuge Basket Fit:
1/4” gap in width
1/8” gap in length
2 1/2” from basket’s top holes to top of short baffle
1/4” from basket’s handle to top of short baffle (I estimate the return waterline to be about 1” above that)
2 1/4” basket bottom holes to bottom glass pane (bottom gap in the tall baffle is 1 1/4”).

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old Time SW Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear your frustration. The tank I am receiving is actually my third attempt from JBJ. The other two came with damage to the bottom pane. Yes, the carbon has made a mess in each one.

Thanks for the reply!
Sort of fits the definition of insanity... too bad. It's a nice tank but they have to arrive in one piece. It's not the carrier either, it's they sloppy preperation for shipping. Maybe your third attempt will be the keeper.

OP
OP
O

Old Time SW Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the InTank Fuge Basket for the RL-45. I tested it tonight and it fits fine on the 45 Flat Panel second chamber. The handle is below the water line. Steve from InTank suggested raising the base a couple of inches. If I feel I need to raise it I may use egg crate or acrylic rods.

These were the measurements if anyone is ever searching:

JBJ 45-FP Second Chambers
Dimensions: 3 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 14”

InTank Fuge Basket Fit:
1/4” gap in width
1/8” gap in length
2 1/2” from basket’s top holes to top of short baffle
1/4” from basket’s handle to top of short baffle (I estimate the return waterline to be about 1” above that)
2 1/4” basket bottom holes to bottom glass pane (bottom gap in the tall baffle is 1 1/4”).

Another old salt here in NC. Odd, my last place where I had several tanks was a massive undertaking for strength and I'll post a pic of mine under crawl space.

Now, I have a slab as well as you once had and do not do the 300g plus any longer...arg.

100_8184_zps6f2b854f.jpg

OP
OP
O

Old Time SW Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100_8184_zps6f2b854f.jpg
This is my first crawlspace and I must say I'm not a fan... much prefer slabs. It looks like you did a bang up job of adding extra support. Most of the new construction in this area of NC is now slab. New codes for crawlspaces make it more practical and less expensive.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first crawlspace and I must say I'm not a fan... much prefer slabs. It looks like you did a bang up job of adding extra support. Most of the new construction in this area of NC is now slab. New codes for crawlspaces make it more practical and less expensive.

It was an adventure. Of course, that section was ~4' high. Arg. And I was setting a span of 10' for an 8' tank. Around 100 or so blocks one at a time about 50 yards each time of crawling. Wowser.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back