Hello

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good with introductions so I'll try to keep it short. I had a 55G Saltwater FOWLR tank about 3-4 years ago. I had a porcupine puffer with a couple damsels and a lawnmower blen. Very basic tank with 2 bio-wheel filters. I had the puffer for the life of the tank and he died. I took the tank down and about a year later me and my wife closed on a house and I couldn't wait to get another one set back up. I scanned Craigslist and finally decided on one. A 90G drilled and a bunch of stuff I had no idea even existed that came with it. Being over dramatic but it was stuff I never had used so it was all new to me. Everything came with the tank including the corals and fish so I took 40 gallons of water from who I got the tank from, picked up 30 from my local pet shop had an RO/DI mix waiting for me when I got back to try and keep the tanks natural filter going. Long story short the original fish are still alive along with the original corals and a couple that I've picked up over the month that the tank has been running. I'm still constantly tinkering with everything moreso the protein skimmer than anything. I can't seem to get it where it needs to be. I'm sure everything else is just as chaotic but for now it's working so I'm leaving it alone.

Onto the good stuff
Water parameters.
Temp 81
Salinity .024
Ph 8.1
Calcium 400 (if my test was accurate)
Nitrates 5pm
Nitrite 5ppm
Ammonia 0

I haven't played with much else besides moving the corals around. Still don't have much of an idea of anything I'm doing. Just read what the best parameters were and have stayed busy with making sure everything is maintained. Thanks for reading.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think could cause the high nitrite?
I'm thinking a mini cycle. From the move... new water... the transition... some bacteria might have died off.... I would add prime and maybe some live bacteria... but as long as there's no ammonia you should be good to just add prime and wait for it to come down.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think could cause the high nitrite?
I'm thinking a mini cycle. From the move... new water... the transition... some bacteria might have died off.... I would add prime and maybe some live bacteria... but as long as there's no ammonia you should be good to just add prime and wait for it to come down.

OP
OP
FragOut

FragOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know how to upload a pic, figured that out.

IMG_2541.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back