HELLO!!

skylar12590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I am new here! I just joined a few days ago. Figured it was about time I introduced my self to everyone. My name is Skylar! I have been using Reef2Reef forums for a little while now while setting up a new saltwater aquarium. I had a few freshwater tanks growing up and now that I have my own place I decided I wanted to get back into the aquarium world! I found a video series from Mr. Saltwater Tank on Youtube about 8 months ago and have been following that to build my first saltwater tank. I started a bit small but I wanted to make sure I learned how to do the basics first. Baby steps right? Below is the gear that I purchased in November. I set everything up in December and have been up and running since then. I purchased 30 gallons of RO/DI water from my LFS to get everything started and plan on buying my own RO/DI unit some time in the future. I used bottled bacteria to kick off the cycle. As far as livestock I started with two ocellaris clownfish. About every two weeks, I have been adding new fish as well as CUC as needed. I have a Bangai Cardinalfish and a Yellow Watchmen Goby. 5 hermits crabs, 3 Turbo Snails, a cleaner shrimp, and a Brittle Sea Star. I also added a handful of empty shells I plan on adding an Orchid Dottyback once the DiversDen or LFS has one in stock. Possibly a few more snails. For Christmas, my fiance gifted me a Fluval 107 Cannister filter as well as a ATO pump. I have started the process of getting that hooked up. Currently running the canister filter along with my HOB filter listed below. I have seen a pretty big Diatom bloom happen two weeks ago but it has since cleared and the snails seem to really love digging into that stuff. I ran my water tests last night and below are the most recent results.

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - .1 ppm
Nitrate - .2 ppm
Phosphate - 0 ppm
Calcium - 370 ppm
Alkalinity - 8.6 dKH
Magnesium - 1290 ppm
Salinity - 1.027 d SG
PH - 7.8

They seem okay? I am using the Salifert kits to run most of the tests and I have a Hanna digital checker for Salinity, PH, and Phosphate.

In the canister filter, I do have carbon in there now but I am thinking of adding another type of media in there just not sure of what yet. Any help on this would be appreciated?

With all of that said! I do have some questions for anyone that's willing to answer. Not sure if they should be a part of my welcome post. I can move them to a different forum if needed. With the light below I am learning that it will not be strong enough to host a BTA or any type of hard corals. I was looking at upgrading to an AI Prime HD and a NERO 5 Wavemaker in a few months (5-6 months possibly from now). Or could I just add a second LED light of the same kind I have below?

Powerhead Placement! I currently have both powerheads placed in the front sides of the tank, shooting at each other. I have them turned down to accommodate the flow that soft corals like. Where should they normally be placed?

ATO Reservoir - I Was thinking about getting a food-safe plastic container for my ATO. Would this be okay?

I plan on getting a BTA and a few Zoas. Maybe a finger leather/ toadstool leather but I want to future proof myself in the event I do decide to have a mixed reef.

• Aquarium - Aqueon 20 Gallon High - 24" Long x 13" Wide x 17" High
  • Stand - Matching Aqueon Metal Forge Stand
  • Aqueon Versa-Lid Glass top
  • 24-36" IC LOOP with Bluetooth LED - Current USA
  • Dual eFlux 660gph Wave Maker Kit - Current USA
  • Aqueon 10 Quietflow Power Filter
  • EHEIM Jager 75 Watt Heater
  • 20lbs of Caribsea Life Rock
  • 20 lbs of Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (20 lb) - Caribsea
  • JW Pet Magnetic Thermometer & Generic sticker tank thermometer
  • Generic Refractometer with Calibration Fluid
  • Fritz 14lb Bag of Salt
  • Tunze Nano Mag Scraper

I apologize for my long-winded first post! I am super excited about this new journey I am on and have big plans for the future! I took some pictures last night of the tank. Let me know what you think of the aquascape! I look forward to any of your responses!

~Skylar

Shrimp.jpg

Star.jpg

Tank.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back