Help - Acans are starting to die off

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established 45 gallon reef tank that has been up for almost 2 years. I have not added anything to the tank for about 9 months. A few days ago I have noticed that some of the acans are starting to die off?
Water temp is 78 degrees
Salinity is 1.025
PH 8.3
Alk 9
Calcium 420
Mag 1250
Amon. 0
NO2 0
NO3 0

They are sitting on the sand and they are getting indirect flow. They have been in the tank for over a year and have always looked really good. Any ideas what might cause this?

Acan.jpg

OP
OP
Justfbilly

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tank, 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse. I am using the Red sea test kits and I am running GFO. I dose 2 part through a doser and I spot feed them 1 time a week. The only other corals next to them are other Acans.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm having a problem too. I did add a CBB recently, but he's well fed and eats like a pig and haven't seen him pick at any corals so I can't say he's the cause. Mine are not full and puffy like they use to be, doesn't look like any flesh is missing or dying, just look deflated.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in a similar situation. I felt it was due to low nitrate but I am not willing to raise nitrate as a solution because I fear it would cause algae outbreak.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tank, 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse. I am using the Red sea test kits and I am running GFO. I dose 2 part through a doser and I spot feed them 1 time a week. The only other corals next to them are other Acans.
When you say you have other Acans near them are you referring to acanthastrea echinata? If so they will fight..

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm having a problem too. I did add a CBB recently, but he's well fed and eats like a pig and haven't seen him pick at any corals so I can't say he's the cause. Mine are not full and puffy like they use to be, doesn't look like any flesh is missing or dying, just look deflated.

I'm in the same boat right now.. as soon as I added him my acans started to deflate :/ I've seen him "nip" once not sure if that's the issue

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back