Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16466541_1618462764836758_525071079_o.jpg
16593582_1618462854836749_676611511_o.jpg
16650829_1618462708170097_849311771_o.jpg
I've had my tang for 3 years now. Today it developed white-ish dots. I thought ich but when it's in regular light, not under the blue light. They are pink. A friend thought uronema. I just want some more input. Thank You

arkareefo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had the same thing with my Chevron butterfly fish...I think it's a bacterial disease that comes with them when they are wild caught..keep it separated as it may spread the disease and kill other tank mates...mine killed two clown fishes...

Keep an eye on other fishes...look for signs of abnormal behavior..also do a water change...
A UV light would have been helpful....
Keep a constant water temperature.. Do not let it rise as it would make the condition worse..
And once again,put that fish away from your main tank...
Thank you

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, Steelheader09 -

This tang's symptoms (great photo-documentation, BTW!) aren't something that I've seen before, but may well be something that Humblefish, @melypr1985 or other members of the #reefsquad have, and know how to deal with.

I do think something bacterial is a possibility, as Arkareefo suggested, and would be surprised if it won't need a quarantine tank for treatment.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You. I will have it in the hospital tank today. I have ordered Metroplex and Kanaplex to try. Just figured I would start something. A local fish store, a very well known and respected one I might add, said that they recently lost a very happy healthy tang to something that looked like this but didn't know the name. He also thought bacterial. I figured with Metroplex and Kanaplex it would cover a lot of my bases.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You. I will have it in the hospital tank today. I have ordered Metroplex and Kanaplex to try. Just figured I would start something. A local fish store, a very well known and respected one I might add, said that they recently lost a very happy healthy tang to something that looked like this but didn't know the name. He also thought bacterial. I figured with Metroplex and Kanaplex it would cover a lot of my bases.

arkareefo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good...I would also suggest to keep the lights dim or off so as to reduce the stress on the fish...
My butterfly fish had started to run from one corner of the tank to other with a good speed...started swimming inverted and constantly shooting water from the mouth just like an archer fish(she was in great pain)...she had all her fins erect...so notice for any such behavior.. Also keep the tank covered with a lid..the fish may jump off if situation gets critical..
Have a good luck and I'll pray for that beautiful creature...
Thank you

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have an excellent plan. It may be a little harder to find, but if you can add Furan-2 to your treatment along with the Metro and Kanaplex it will give you the best odds of success. Don't delay starting treatment waiting for it, just add it to the mix if you are willing/able to get it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 20gal ok for a quarantine?

Yes

I agree this is likely a bacterial infection. Maybe the tang scratched his belly on a rock or got stung by a coral, and that got infected. Treating with Furan-2 + Kanaplex + Metroplex is optimal, but just the last two may be enough to get the job done.

Good luck!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 are being overnighted. Quarantine is being set up. Thank you for all the help!
And thank you for doing your best to care for your fish!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back