Help! Blue Tang is sick!

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly to agree with Humble fish. It appears that it got scratched and may just be annoying it and he made it worse. You have a great plan. I would however do one medication at a time simply for the fact if it is a disease of some kind you can identify exactly what treatment worked of that makes sense? A small amount of iodine may also do the trick as a disinfectant without the stressors of prolonged hospitalization. Hope he get better. They become part of the family after that long and we take it personally.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would however do one medication at a time simply for the fact if it is a disease of some kind you can identify exactly what treatment worked of that makes sense?

This would be great for experimentation purposes, but if the primary concern is saving the fish's life I would combine all three.

Also, a skin scrape would be required to identify the offending bacterium so you would know exactly what worked on what. ;)

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratched idea is possible. I have had them get scratched on the fanworms before. They are sharp. I drove one into my knuckle cleaning one-time. Had to pull it out with tweezers. Between the fan worms scratching me and the Clarkii trying to bite me, they draw blood btw, cleaning the glass can be a chore.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at his belly again, I wonder if a bristle worm crawled near him during the middle of the night. Or he wedged himself into a tight spot while sleeping.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He loves tight spaces and sleeps laying on the sand so possibly. The hopsital tank is going. The water looks a little cloudy not sure why. Im going to test everything before she goes in. Been waiting for the heat and salt to equalize

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok giving her the best shot i can. Wish me luck.

14865097693821056639880.jpg

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick question. Should I keep an aerator going? In the display tank I rely on the skimmer for airation but dont have a skimmer in quarantine.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely aerate the qt tank. Those meds will deplete the oxygen so water movement is a must

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know i sound like a novice but I appreciate the help. Ive had marine fish for 5 years now and have never had to treat anything other than a bout if ich in year 1. Ive taken 2 college classes in coral culturing and aquaculture but the section on diseases was 4 years ago.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know i sound like a novice but I appreciate the help. Ive had marine fish for 5 years now and have never had to treat anything other than a bout if ich in year 1. Ive taken 2 college classes in coral culturing and aquaculture but the section on diseases was 4 years ago.
We've all been there, not to worry. We are here for you!

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wounds are healed. I think she is beginning to not like the hospital tank. She has stopped eating like she was before. Is she ok to go back to display or does she need more QT time? Water parameters are good btw.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a "captive breed" blue tang, was fine for 2 weeks then had similer shaped marks in the same place. Near anal fin. But my tang is only 3/4 and inch. How ever the marks on mine where almost transparent. I swear I could see light through the fish. I fed with silcon and live black worms and what ever it was healed. It has been fine since. tang is now 4 months old.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Mine is 3 years old. I got her at about an inch, now she is around 6in. I threw everything at her to get her healed up. Not sure what cause it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back