Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first noticed it 4 days ago. My spotted mandarin was not very active, but he was eating as the other fish as well are still eating as normal. 1st qt will be up in the next hour, I also have some Dr. Tim's one and only to Seed the tank with bacteria. What antibacterial meds should I dose with copper? I've had most of the fish for over 3 years and the last addition was the Naokos wrasse which was added about 8 months ago. Thanks for your help!

For antibacterial meds add to food by binding with focus not use in water column.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I bought the chloroquine phosphate. Thank you very much!!!!

I am going to start treating the wrasse's, tang, and gobies in the 20g qt. I will wait to treat the puffer and the others in the 40g breeder I'm going to buy today when the cp arrives.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I bought the chloroquine phosphate. Thank you very much!!!!

I am going to start treating the wrasse's, tang, and gobies in the 20g qt. I will wait to treat the puffer and the others in the 40g breeder I'm going to buy today when the cp arrives.
Glad we could help. Keep us updated on the progress

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the meds, I will start feeding them tomorrow. I just fed the tank and everyone is eating. The only fish that seems to be having a hard time is the puffer, I did a fresh water dip last night on him. Do you think I should give him a freshwater dip and then a quickcure bath tonight? He won't be going into qt until I get the cp.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the meds, I will start feeding them tomorrow. I just fed the tank and everyone is eating. The only fish that seems to be having a hard time is the puffer, I did a fresh water dip last night on him. Do you think I should give him a freshwater dip and then a quickcure bath tonight? He won't be going into qt until I get the cp.
Be careful with too many freshwater dips, it's stressful for them. I'm thinking @ngoodermuth may recommend a bath in ruby reef really or api fungus cure but let's wait to see what she says

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would also keep lights on the qt tank very low if not off. Marine velvet parasite is more active and photosynthetic which is one of the reasons fish hide When the tank has the lights on. Do not forget to add airstones as well.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I won't add lights to qt.

Now, I'm reading that formalin can cause cancer to fish and that some fish exposed to formalin don’t live past 18-24 months. That's not good!! if formalin isn't even necessary to fight velvet. Should I not use the quickcure?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I won't add lights to qt.

Now, I'm reading that formalin can cause cancer to fish and that some fish exposed to formalin don’t live past 18-24 months. That's not good!! if formalin isn't even necessary to fight velvet. Should I not use the quickcure?

Hello,

There isn’t any hard proof that copper does either just so you know. Marine Velvet depending on strain and actually lay dormant until it’s habitat is more ideal. The best you can do is treat as fast as possible. Generally the lethal dose of copper that kills fish also is the lethal dose that kills velvet. Remember that velvet will affect different species of fish in different ways. As a scientific standpoint we do not fully understand this parasite as much as we should.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking about the formalin in quickcure, not copper or cp.

My puffer seems to have what looks like ich on his eyes, he is definitely not doing good. Below is the picture:

20190604_190426-1209x1612.jpg

20190604_190424-1209x1612.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry you're dealing with this. Copper treats both velvet and ICH. If this were me I'd act now and would setup QT with half dose of therapeutic copper levels and dose the second half tomorrow. Use water from DT for initial setup on your QT so that the water chemistry remains the same to alleviate any addition stress and make sure temperature matches. When you conduct water changes after initial setup, use new saltwater batches not water from DT to avoid cross contamination of the parasite. Keep a close eye on water quality and ammonia levels.

Things you'll need for QT setup.
- ammonia badge
- heater
- air pump and air stone or internal sponge filter with air pump to help keep water movement and more stable PH.
- HOB (optional)
- PVC piping
- NO LIGHTING
- NO PRIME or ammonia reducers
- Keep surface water movement high

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first qt is up and running with 75% tank water. I'm going to catch the fish tomorrow. Should I remove the sponge from my sump and put it in the qt today and add Dr. Tim's one and only today?

Quarantine tank pics below

20190604_205937-1612x1209.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an extra sponge it will help with nitrifying bacteria. Tims will also be good idea. Why are you waiting?

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me longer then expected to go buy the 40g breeder for the 2nd qt tank and set up the 1st qt tank. By the time I got back, the light in the aquarium had already turned off, it would have been impossible to find/catch my choris wrasse not knowing where he is in the sand. I also figured it will be quicker and less stressful to the fish if I caught them before they are hiding while they sleep. Also keep in mind that some will have to stay in the dt until the cp arrives Friday. It might have been a dumb move, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that. Friday is a long time to wait for copper. Is there anyway to rush it?

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the copper, I dont have the chloroquine phosphate which is what I'm going to use for the 2nd qt tank. I am going to quarantine as follows:

1st quarantine tank (start copper tomorrow)
Tomini tang
Naoko's wrasse
Choris wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Neon goby

2ndquarantine tank (start chloroquine phosphate Friday)
One spot foxface
Valentini puffer- sensitive to copper
Cherub angel
Longnose hawkfish
Clown goby

I think that's all the fish.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Okay. In my opinion waiting until Friday would be more detrimental than slowly ramping up the copper to therapeutic levels. Copper will treat velvet/ich and if you allow your fish to adapt slowly over a few days they will build up tolerance. It is a better option than allowing the parasite to continue to attack the gills especially when dealing with velvet.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back