Help: Brooklynella or Velvet?

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 100 grams yesterday, it will get here Friday. But I'm not going to use it, as everyone is telling me to start all fish on copper today.
absolutely get the copper going ASAP. but having the CP on hand as your default method going forward (for QT) will be great to have. and if any of your fish are copper sensitive, move them over to CP (separate tank) if you can.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your fish today? What do you need and are you feeling good about your plan of attack?
The tang has cleared up and the puffer is looking better then yesterday. But I'm guessing maybe the velvet dropped off them and will be coming back full force.

Well to be honest.... this is a nightmare, as I've mentioned before I have had most of these fish since I started in 2015 and it really SUCKS losing fish. I'm just really upset at myself for purchasing the water from that dang guy on craigslist, as I think that is the only way this nightmare has been introduced to my tank.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be back in a few, going to buy the copper power since the copper I have on hand seems to not be accurate (copper safe) and I want to make this as least stressful as possible to me and the fish.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang has cleared up and the puffer is looking better then yesterday. But I'm guessing maybe the velvet dropped off them and will be coming back full force.

Well to be honest.... this is a nightmare, as I've mentioned before I have had most of these fish since I started in 2015 and it really SUCKS losing fish. I'm just really upset at myself for purchasing the water from that dang guy on craigslist, as I think that is the only way this nightmare has been introduced to my tank.
I know it is tough, but don't beat yourself up too hard. This wave of velvet in the hobby is relatively new, and ways of doing things in the past were geared more toward Ich, which wasn't end of the world if it came into your tank.

I have been an incredibly avid QT'er in my days, yet one mistake (from snails of all things) gave my fish velvet and I lost everything. It happens. It sucks. You learn and move forward.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is tough, but don't beat yourself up too hard. This wave of velvet in the hobby is relatively new, and ways of doing things in the past were geared more toward Ich, which wasn't end of the world if it came into your tank.

I have been an incredibly avid QT'er in my days, yet one mistake (from snails of all things) gave my fish velvet and I lost everything. It happens. It sucks. You learn and move forward.
Thanks for the support and help with this situation.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support and help with this situation.

Hello,

As terrible as this situation is one can not be put to blame. It’s really hard to qt for velvet when “anything wet” can transfer it, plus it can lay dormant. The full understanding of this is not exactly known. It’s the one reason that I will not add new fish to my current system. It is also why I only get corals and cuc etc from one shop. The fact you can’t dip corals in copper and or inverts makes it hard. This is also why I now use a level 2 steralizer with ozone capacity. It may not kill the eggs etc but it will definitely kill the swimmers. It may not kill all of them the first time around but will cut it down. Yet even with all the preventive measures in place it’s still a huge risk. Also remember that the fallow period isn’t exact, some say 72 days some say 90 but there is no precise time line just the longer the better. Super sorry your going through this, it’s not fun or easy.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got the copper power. I'm going to ramp up the copper as follows:

20 gallon to 1.75ppm
21ml over three days
>2ml in 7:30 am
>2ml 6 pm
>3ml 10 pm

How does that sound?

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have to remove all/most the rock and corals in order to catch these fish. I took another day off work and I will have to do it tomorrow. This really stinks!!!

Below is the new addition amount:

20 gallon to 2.0ppm
23.6ml over three days
>2.62ml in 7:30 am
>2.62ml 6 pm
>2.62ml 10 pm

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to check the level often and watch them closely to make sure they aren't having negative reactions to ramping it up so quickly, although it's necessary to do so for velvet

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to catch the fish but they are way too quick with all the rocks and corals in the way. So tomorrow morning, I'm going to remove all the rocks and corals to some bins I have and I should be able to catch them much easier and less stressful.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to catch the fish but they are way too quick with all the rocks and corals in the way. So tomorrow morning, I'm going to remove all the rocks and corals to some bins I have and I should be able to catch them much easier and less stressful.
I just did the same thing a few days ago, not fun

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I skip the freshwater dip on the wrasse? I put the Naokos wrasse in there and he instantly went to the bottom and started breathing very slow!!

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so all the fish are in quarantine, except the choris wrasse. I tried to look for him everywhere, no luck. I will try the bottle trap tomorrow. Any advise on catching a burying wrasse?

That has to be one of the most stressful things I have ever done!!!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so all the fish are in quarantine, except the choris wrasse. I tried to look for him everywhere, no luck. I will try the bottle trap tomorrow. Any advise on catching a burying wrasse?

That has to be one of the most stressful things I have ever done!!!
The only thing you can do is keep trying, it took me over a week to catch all my fish

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back