Help: Brooklynella or Velvet?

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I won't add lights to qt.

Now, I'm reading that formalin can cause cancer to fish and that some fish exposed to formalin don’t live past 18-24 months. That's not good!! if formalin isn't even necessary to fight velvet. Should I not use the quickcure?

Quick cure doesn’t have the necessary percentage of formalin. It’s useless here

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the puffer will survive the copper?

The fish that are most affected will start copper tomorrow. The others will start chloroquine phosphate Friday, these fish are not showing signs of velvet yet except the puffer, which is sensitive to copper. If the others start showing signs of velvet I will just start copper on them tomorrow aswell.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course keep us posted. Also make sure you have a solid copper test like the Hanna Copper Checker and slowly dose over 5 days to 1.75 ppm. Break up the daily dose into 2 or 3 smaller doses each day instead of one big daily dose as you are increasing up to therapeutic level. The key is pristine water. Keep a close eye on ammonia levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered chloroquine phosphate today because I thought that I couldn't use copper on the puffer.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the coppersafe and the api copper test kit now.

Copy that. API test kits are hard to read, but it is just preference. Hanna checkers digital and give clear test results.

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the puffer will survive the copper?

The fish that are most affected will start copper tomorrow. The others will start chloroquine phosphate Friday, these fish are not showing signs of velvet yet except the puffer, which is sensitive to copper. If the others start showing signs of velvet I will just start copper on them tomorrow aswell.

If you use copper power he will be fine. Lfs use it and so have I. The others I’ve seen first hand not work well with them

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to find copper power tomorrow, I'm sure someone must have it in stock.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to find copper power tomorrow, I'm sure someone must have it in stock.

Copper Power and Coppersafe are both chelated copper, so comparable. The reason we suggest the former over the latter, is that one of our members did some testing and found huge disparities in concentration from bottle to bottle. Which doesn’t mean it won’t work, but you will have to forget the dosing instructions on the bottle and rely on frequent testing to get the level up to therapeutic.

The API kit works with chelated coppers, but is a little difficult to read because the colors don’t really match up to the chart well. But, it will work.

For velvet, I would not wait... you should start ramping up whatever copper you can get or have now, it takes several days to get it up to 1.75-2.0, and with the puffer and wrasses you can’t rush it, so that’s all the longer your fish will have to fight the velvet on their own.

At this point, there is probably extensive damage to the gills of the affected.... and even with treatment, recovery will be difficult and the risk of secondary infection is huge.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get my hands on chloroquine phosphate, I have pretty much called every vet in the area the last 2 days and no one will prescribe it to me.
You don't need a vet, just a reputable supplier. Fishman Chemical is said to have over 95% pure CP in their product. I use it from here and seems to have worked on the two survivors I had from my Velvet bout.
https://www.fishchemical.com/FULL-PRODUCT-LIST-CHLOROQUINE-PHOSPHATE-22937.Item.html

I bought the 100 gram package so it lasts a long while.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting everyone in quarantine tanks today and starting copper. I'm going now to buy copper power from my lfs. I will keep everyone updated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a vet, just a reputable supplier. Fishman Chemical is said to have over 95% pure CP in their product. I use it from here and seems to have worked on the two survivors I had from my Velvet bout.
https://www.fishchemical.com/FULL-PRODUCT-LIST-CHLOROQUINE-PHOSPHATE-22937.Item.html

I bought the 100 gram package so it lasts a long while.

I ordered 100 grams yesterday, it will get here Friday. But I'm not going to use it, as everyone is telling me to start all fish on copper today.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back