OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tang doesn't look like its gonna make it, its floating on its side and seems to be having trouble balancing upright. I have only added 3ml of copper. What should I do?

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using chelated copper. I have only put in 3ml of copper, which is pretty much nothing as I need to get it to 23.6.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the other fish showing signs of stress or breathing heavy? Ammonia can build quickly in a qt and you'll need a bottled bacteria like biospira to control it. I would also highly recommend a Hanna copper checker so you can monitor the copper level

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish need a pretty immediate full dosage IMO. I'd do half now and half in 24 hours personally. Generally it is 25% per day / 4 days. Hopefully someone will jump in and counter my statement if necessary.
Re: bath, do a freshwater bath for sure. Quickcure wouldn't hurt either.

You could even set up a continuous drip system of concentrated copper treated saltwater to raise the concentration faster but at a uniform way to cause less stress to the fish. You dont necessarily have to wait a full 24 hours, you could theoretically split it into many frequent microdoses.

During my recent velvet QT, i went to full dose much more quickly than bottle recommended and found that the fish are resilient enough to handle such if needed, however this could vary from fish to fish. Good luck, hope that your fish thrive.

OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the other fish showing signs of stress or breathing heavy? Ammonia can build quickly in a qt and you'll need a bottled bacteria like biospira to control it. I would also highly recommend a Hanna copper checker so you can monitor the copper level
The other fish are doing good.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both of them, should I add both?

I’d add Kanaplex for sure. It’s possible to do both if you think it may be helpful and/or it’s a last ditch effort. I’ve found Kanaplex alone can cover most infections so I rarely mix them.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I added both.

I have a hob,powerhead, and air stone in each tank. I think that should be enough. Should I add another 3ml of copper to each qt? Or wait til the morning?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I added both.

I have a hob,powerhead, and air stone in each tank. I think that should be enough. Should I add another 3ml of copper to each qt? Or wait til the morning?

Where are you in getting to full concentration? I think it’s probably a judgement call.

If you are only at 3 ml out of 23 ml, yes, I’d add more. I’d probably dose to about half now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMF2324

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only added 3ml to each qt. I still have a LONG way to go. I'll wait til 4-5am to add more. I dont want to rush it, but I need to get it up.

Thanks again everyone!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.6%
Back