Help clown goby bumps on body

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long shot... Are you mixing your own salt water? if so, are you mixing the day before the water change? if not, how soon after you mix it are you doing the water change?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there a problem for mixing it late? I always mix it 1 min before a water change. Is that bad?
There can be depending on the brand of salt. For example Brightwell neomarine should be mixed overnight.
The important thing is just following the directions on your brand of salt

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long shot... Are you mixing your own salt water? if so, are you mixing the day before the water change? if not, how soon after you mix it are you doing the water change?
This is where testing comes into play. And - IMHO stress is at least in part whats happening here. If your tests are ok - they are ok - with a goby and some snails - you should not have any problem doing the water changes that everyone else does. 2. If you have some sort of 'filtration' - you should not need to add microbacter every week either - most of your bacteria is on surfaces - not in the water. I don't want to sidetrack things - but There are a number of experiments here that suggest that.

tank is an all in one 5 gal. I replace filter pad With bulk filter pad I run in large tanks at my house, also run a small amount of carbo. Has plastic biofilter in aio chamber as well.

I change water with water I mix at home and keep in heated circulating 55gal drum. Water is 6 stage RODI that I make sure is 0tds with calibrated TDS meter and mixed with tropic Marin pro reef, from Germany. Same water used in my display reef and frag tank.

I’ll test parameters next time I’m here.

honestly think fish is looking a little better than last night before WC. He’s seeming to be a little more ‘spunky’

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a problem for mixing it late? I always mix it 1 min before a water change. Is that bad?

def depends on salt brand. Follow instructions on salt to be sure. Want water to be very clear prior to using in tank. BRS did an informative video on salts and salt mixing

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You run the risk of putting undissolved salt in your tanks. Exposing fish gills and coral tissue to undissolved salt crystals is not healthy. When I had my tanks in high school I did not know this and my fish had a similar appearance to the one in the photo before they past. Maybe it was coincidental. However, even instant ocean says you can use the salt but they recommend you mix the day before if possible, as this is the best practice. With the OP doing 100% WC's, I suspected the fish might be being exposed to large amounts of undissolved salt.
tank is an all in one 5 gal. I replace filter pad With bulk filter pad I run in large tanks at my house, also run a small amount of carbo. Has plastic biofilter in aio chamber as well.

I change water with water I mix at home and keep in heated circulating 55gal drum. Water is 6 stage RODI that I make sure is 0tds with calibrated TDS meter and mixed with tropic Marin pro reef, from Germany. Same water used in my display reef and frag tank.

I’ll test parameters next time I’m here.

honestly think fish is looking a little better than last night before WC. He’s seeming to be a little more ‘spunky’
Sounds like my scenarios doesn't apply in this situation :)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used IO I mixed 24 hrs prior to using. Got notable different salinity reading from 1 min post mix to 24hrs post
Game Show Love GIF by ABC Network

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. to throw another factor into this. It’s been reported that there was a stink bug floating in tank for 24hrs ish prior to bumps on goby

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people do 100 percent water changes on picos. I don’t see the problem? The rocks hold the bacteria load.
That was my thought! I leave an inch or two of water in tank on top of two inch sand bed. And hit with MicroBacter7 afterwards. Rocks we’re healthy and pod covered prior to going in tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
people do 100 percent water changes on picos. I don’t see the problem? The rocks hold the bacteria load.
Yes they do - but - it is stressful for a fish thats new - and perhaps has a viral infection perhaps. I mean I dont want to debate or anything - I'm just not sure its 'needed' for a 5 gallon tank - with filtration - and 1 goby

EDIT. and PS - they also do them with TTM, and QT tanks. you're right. I just think right now - AS LONG as parameters are good, I would not do huge water changes.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do - but - it is stressful for a fish thats new - and perhaps has a viral infection perhaps. I mean I dont want to debate or anything - I'm just not sure its 'needed' for a 5 gallon tank - with filtration - and 1 goby

EDIT. and PS - they also do them with TTM, and QT tanks. you're right. I just think right now - AS LONG as parameters are good, I would not do huge water changes.
Ya I do 100 percent changes on a 5g, well close. An inch for the fish to sit in. Match temp and salinity and no sweat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back