Help clown goby bumps on body

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me identify what’s happening with clown goby. In a nano at my girlfriends house, don’t ever test because I typically do a near 100% WC weekly. Tanks been setup 3-4 months, cycled with dr Tim’s and inverts. Goby was added about three weeks ago. Looked good from fish shop. Was not quarantined.

bumps are raised off body, seem to be more concentrated on skin than fins. He is eating and acting normal.

hoping someone can send me in right direction.

tank he’s in has some zoas and gsp. Would be able to transport back to my place tomorrow to hospital tank.

FED03799-1C7F-4A0B-82AB-721D0ECA6761.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me identify what’s happening with clown goby. In a nano at my girlfriends house, don’t ever test because I typically do a near 100% WC weekly. Tanks been setup 3-4 months, cycled with dr Tim’s and inverts. Goby was added about three weeks ago. Looked good from fish shop. Was not quarantined.

bumps are raised off body, seem to be more concentrated on skin than fins. He is eating and acting normal.

tank he’s in has some zoas and gsp. Would be able to transport back to my place tomorrow to hospital tank.

Can you get a good clear pic? Place phone flat on glass and take pic. Maybe even shine a flashlight on fish while taking pic.

Hard to tell exactly what it could be.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Bacterial growths that are referred to as tufts and looks like lympho but last more than 7 days.
Assure water quality is good ( ammonia-ph-nitrate)
If it does not subside, treatment will be seachem neoplex

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
JMHO - I have not heard of bacterial tufts - and I agree that better pictures are in order.

But - to me this looks like Lymphocystis - from acclimation/transport stressors - plus the stress of weekly 100% water changes - and no testing in between. It is fairly well known that Lymphocystis can develop within 1-2 weeks of stress, and that it likely will clear up within 6 weeks.

The key is that you're saying the fish looks healthy, eating, etc - and with a worsening overwhelming bacterial infection - I would think thats less likely. In any case - IMHO - the water changes are 'hurting' not helping. Here is a nice article on lymphocystis - and there are numerous pictures out there showing a similar pattern (more skin-related as compared to isolated lesions on the fins). IMHO - you could also consider as you mentioned - moving to a hospital tank - with the intent of treating (in case it is bacteria - as a primary or secondary infection).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMHO - I have not heard of bacterial tufts - and I agree that better pictures are in order.

But - to me this looks like Lymphocystis - from acclimation/transport stressors - plus the stress of weekly 100% water changes - and no testing in between. It is fairly well known that Lymphocystis can develop within 1-2 weeks of stress, and that it likely will clear up within 6 weeks.

The key is that you're saying the fish looks healthy, eating, etc - and with a worsening overwhelming bacterial infection - I would think thats less likely. In any case - IMHO - the water changes are 'hurting' not helping. Here is a nice article on lymphocystis - and there are numerous pictures out there showing a similar pattern (more skin-related as compared to isolated lesions on the fins). IMHO - you could also consider as you mentioned - moving to a hospital tank - with the intent of treating (in case it is bacteria - as a primary or secondary infection).

Bacterial tufts are a thing.

Below is borrowed from Dr. Charlie Gregory: https://www.aquaveterinarian.com

It basically refers to white growths on the fish that are bacterial in nature. They oftentimes start out looking like Ich (or sometimes as small as velvet) and then look more like Lymphocystis nodules as they grow in size. Two ways to distinguish these from Ich trophonts:
  1. Bacterial tufts will remain on a fish for > 7 days. Ich trophonts typically disappear within 7 days.
  2. Bacterial tufts will protrude outward from the fish, and dangle off and sometimes even get blown by the flow. Ich will appear to be just underthe epithelium (outer skin layer).

Hippo tangs are a good example of fish common to get them. They typically get them after 30 days of copper treatment.

They can be teated with Metronidazole + Kanamycin or just good food and good water quality works just as well.

But yes, I believe we still need some better pics. At the angle taken, you can see what looks like they are protruding, but cannot be 100% sure. Being as brook, ich, velvet and tufts are all a possibility, would much rather have better pics to give a 100% ID, since treatment varies for which one it is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial tufts are a thing.

Below is borrowed from Dr. Charlie Gregory: https://www.aquaveterinarian.com

It basically refers to white growths on the fish that are bacterial in nature. They oftentimes start out looking like Ich (or sometimes as small as velvet) and then look more like Lymphocystis nodules as they grow in size. Two ways to distinguish these from Ich trophonts:
  1. Bacterial tufts will remain on a fish for > 7 days. Ich trophonts typically disappear within 7 days.
  2. Bacterial tufts will protrude outward from the fish, and dangle off and sometimes even get blown by the flow. Ich will appear to be just underthe epithelium (outer skin layer).

Hippo tangs are a good example of fish common to get them. They typically get them after 30 days of copper treatment.

They can be teated with Metronidazole + Kanamycin or just good food and good water quality works just as well.

But yes, I believe we still need some better pics. At the angle taken, you can see what looks like they are protruding, but cannot be 100% sure. Being as brook, ich, velvet and tufts are all a possibility, would much rather have better pics to give a 100% ID, since treatment varies for which one it is.
Thanks for the article. I was suggesting that rather than CI (which indeed will change position over days), lymphocystis will also stay for longer than 7 days:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I couldnt read the article - as Dr. Gregory only allows access to the site to people he has worked with as a veterinarian - unless you posted an outdated link? At least looking at a couple other sites - some people say its a virus +/- bacteria - most common in hippo tangs, after copper treatment. Some say clean water, stable parameters - and it goes away on its own - some say Antibiotics. So - I have heard of the problem before - just not referred to as tufts. Thanks to you and VetteGuy

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article. I was suggesting that rather than CI (which indeed will change position over days), lymphocystis will also stay for longer than 7 days:)
Yup on lymph and just providing some more info on "tufts".

Either way, we still need better pics to be sure.

Good Clear Pics = Golden Rule of Diag lol.

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial growths that are referred to as tufts and looks like lympho but last more than 7 days.
Assure water quality is good ( ammonia-ph-nitrate)
If it does not subside, treatment will be seachem neoplex
Thank you! I believe it was a water quality issue, my girlfriends kid admits to feeding it a “bunch”

did a 90% water change last night. Goby seems to be more active this morning.

will try to post better pic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I believe it was a water quality issue, my girlfriends kid admits to feeding it a “bunch”

An aside while waiting for pictures. There is no substitute for testing IIMHO. Especially when there is a 'problem'.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I couldnt read the article - as Dr. Gregory only allows access to the site to people he has worked with as a veterinarian - unless you posted an outdated link?
Well crap. It is not much of an article and really doesnt go too much in depth about them, just some examples of fish that get it more than other and a couple of treatment options.

Awesome on getting better pics and agree testing would be very helpful. Especially if the tank has been way overfed.

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I have all testing supplies at my house. Didn’t know they were having problems so just showed up to do my typical WC. Wish I could test. Felt like an butt posting a “what the heck is this issue thread” with no actual data

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I have all testing supplies at my house. Didn’t know they were having problems so just showed up to do my typical WC. Wish I could test. Felt like an butt posting a “what the heck is this issue thread” with no actual data
Dont fell like that. You care for the fish and are looking for help. Nothing wrong with that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the skin appear to be sloughing off or peeling away anywhere on the fish?

I am looking on my phone now, so hard to tell. It also looks like there may be a little damage on the fin in the last pic. But again, hard to tell on my phone.

@MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal thoughts, if you can look on a larger screen?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back