Help clown goby bumps on body

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. to throw another factor into this. It’s been reported that there was a stink bug floating in tank for 24hrs ish prior to bumps on goby
Not related , this has happened to my tank with no affect….

This also does not appear to be lmphocystis.

I see two lesions - the large razed area on the fish’s back/right side and then the raised spots on the body and fins.

Most likely bacterial, but there is no way to rule out microsporidian xenomas (but ignore those as there is no treatment for that).

I would like to note that I’ve been fooled with little clown gobies before - showing spots like this that ended up being ich.

Jay

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see two lesions - the large razed area on the fish’s back/right side and then the raised spots on the body and fins.

Most likely bacterial, but there is no way to rule out microsporidian xenomas (but ignore those as there is no treatment for that).

I would like to note that I’ve been fooled with little clown gobies before - showing spots like this that ended up being ich.

Jay

thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
You always have something up your sleeve. If you had a fish like this - would you try to look at one of the cysts under the microscope - or would you empirically treat with antibiotics - just watch parameters and wait?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always have something up your sleeve. If you had a fish like this - would you try to look at one of the cysts under the microscope - or would you empirically treat with antibiotics - just watch parameters and wait?

I would do a skin scrape and look at it under a microscope, but most home aquarists don't have that option....and then, a skin scrape may not show what the problem is (but it CAN rule out what it isn't).

Jay

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don’t have any gear to take it any further.
In the future will be using quarantine. Didn’t do it this time because it was gonna be only fish in tank and got it from a good store.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the future will be using quarantine. Didn’t do it this time because it was gonna be only fish in tank and got it from a good store.
Hopefully we helped a little :). It is really unclear (to me) - exactly what it was. But sorry you weren't successful

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI - just to be safe - I might not add more fish to that tank for 76 days
your filter should be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back