jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial tufts are a thing.

Below is borrowed from Dr. Charlie Gregory: https://www.aquaveterinarian.com

It basically refers to white growths on the fish that are bacterial in nature. They oftentimes start out looking like Ich (or sometimes as small as velvet) and then look more like Lymphocystis nodules as they grow in size. Two ways to distinguish these from Ich trophonts:
  1. Bacterial tufts will remain on a fish for > 7 days. Ich trophonts typically disappear within 7 days.
  2. Bacterial tufts will protrude outward from the fish, and dangle off and sometimes even get blown by the flow. Ich will appear to be just underthe epithelium (outer skin layer).

Hippo tangs are a good example of fish common to get them. They typically get them after 30 days of copper treatment.

They can be teated with Metronidazole + Kanamycin or just good food and good water quality works just as well.

But yes, I believe we still need some better pics. At the angle taken, you can see what looks like they are protruding, but cannot be 100% sure. Being as brook, ich, velvet and tufts are all a possibility, would much rather have better pics to give a 100% ID, since treatment varies for which one it is.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the skin appear to be sloughing off or peeling away anywhere on the fish?

I am looking on my phone now, so hard to tell. It also looks like there may be a little damage on the fin in the last pic. But again, hard to tell on my phone.

@MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal thoughts, if you can look on a larger screen?
It looks as if the ‘lumps’ in question would be able to fall off skin.

although general integrity of skin is good, no sloughing or peeling anywhere there is no ‘lump’

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the skin appear to be sloughing off or peeling away anywhere on the fish?

I am looking on my phone now, so hard to tell. It also looks like there may be a little damage on the fin in the last pic. But again, hard to tell on my phone.

@MnFish1 @Jay Hemdal thoughts, if you can look on a larger screen?
I see a fair bit of lesions on the fins themselves - including on the very edges - of the pectoral fins - seen in the frontal pictures.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a fair bit of lesions on the fins themselves - including on the very edges - of the pectoral fins - seen in the frontal pictures.
OK, so I was not losing my mind on a broken phone screen lol.

@jasonDeReefer88 are there any other fish in the tank with the goby? Or anything in there that could be picking on the fish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitly not lympho
Can you explain 'why'? I don't want to single you out I don't think you can say that. IMHO - Actually - it could be a number of things. Without a biopsy of one of the lesions, its impossible to say. To me it looks Viral - which lymphocystis is - and looks similar to any number of pictures (though not the typical couple large bumps on the fins). In any case, the treatment is basically the same - maintain clean water, minimize stress, consider as @vetteguy53081 suggested a broad spectrum antibiotic in a hospital tank in case of a bacterial infection

To the OP - no worries about not testing - understand your rationale. I was only making the point that 100 percent water changes may be adding additional stress to the fish (and if overfed - as suggested - lets say the parameters are going wildly up and down - that can also be causal to these types of problems).

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I was not losing my mind on a broken phone screen lol.

@jasonDeReefer88 are there any other fish in the tank with the goby? Or anything in there that could be picking on the fish?
There are four hermits and a large snail, a few corals. No other fish that would be picking on goby.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience on this website, lypho isnt as numerous, and it usally looks like ich, but larger, and less spots. AKA all white like a fungi
Thanks - I added more to my reply - but here are some pictures of lymphocystis. You're completely correct - it's not entirely typical. But - I don't you can say its 'definitely not'

Lymphocystis Disease
Figure 2. Clownfish with lymphocystis nodules on fins and body.

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain 'why'? I don't want to single you out I don't think you can say that. IMHO - Actually - it could be a number of things. Without a biopsy of one of the lesions, its impossible to say. To me it looks Viral - which lymphocystis is - and looks similar to any number of pictures (though not the typical couple large bumps on the fins). In any case, the treatment is basically the same - maintain clean water, minimize stress, consider as @vetteguy53081 suggested a broad spectrum antibiotic in a hospital tank in case of a bacterial infection

To the OP - no worries about not testing - understand your rationale. I was only making the point that 100 percent water changes may be adding additional stress to the fish (and if overfed - as suggested - lets say the parameters are going wildly up and down - that can also be causal to these types of problems).
Thank you. I’ve had another conversation with my girlfriend and kids about proper feeding and importance of water quality.

OP
OP
jasonDeReefer88

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, but 100% is high. at most, 50% a week is better
Noted. Haven’t cared for a nano tank before, and I only see tank once a weekish so I was attempting to be cautious. Will def keep it to 50% WC from this point.

just offered goby some Mysis, he gobbled it up without hesitation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Noted. Haven’t cared for a nano tank before, and I only see tank once a weekish so I was attempting to be cautious. Will def keep it to 50% WC from this point.

just offered goby some Mysis, he gobbled it up without hesitation
This is where testing comes into play. And - IMHO stress is at least in part whats happening here. If your tests are ok - they are ok - with a goby and some snails - you should not have any problem doing the water changes that everyone else does. 2. If you have some sort of 'filtration' - you should not need to add microbacter every week either - most of your bacteria is on surfaces - not in the water. I don't want to sidetrack things - but There are a number of experiments here that suggest that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back