Help cycling

MonsterReef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2016
Messages
590
Reaction score
235
Location
Columbia Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all I've been cycling the seahorse tank for about two and a half weeks I'll feed it heavily with brine shrimp and the ammonium spike within a day or two it will go away but there are no nitrates what is going on
 
Hey y'all I've been cycling the seahorse tank for about two and a half weeks I'll feed it heavily with brine shrimp and the ammonium spike within a day or two it will go away but there are no nitrates what is going on
You won't read nitrates until your bacteria have converted the ammonia to nitrogen and then to nitrate...don't do a water change until your ammonia is zero and nitrite is zero at this point you should be reading some nitrates. Hope that helps.
 
I wouldn't do anything other than a test daily to check for nitrates..the reason being ammonia is the beginning of your nitrogen cycle...the evidence of your bacteria being a functioning, living colony is nitrate and if your first 2 stages (ammonia/ nitrogen) are reading zero then you should start to see nitrate readings(a good sign) .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new