Help ESV Bionic 2 part

Azurc14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello switched from all for reef to esv bionic part 2.
I'm dosing equal amount, do i need to stop dosing alk to stop rising or dose less alk?

Sun - all for reef
Dkh 8.3
Cal 432

Mon - esv b-ionic 2 part
Dkh 8.6
Cal 438

Tues - esv b-ionic 2 part
Dkh 8.6
Cal 446

Wed - esv b-ionic 2 part
Dkh 8.9
Cal 441

Thurs - esv b-ionic 2 part
Dkh 8.9
Cal 429

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started ESV as well. I've been selecting a desired alk (9) then using the reef chemistry calculator to maintain it. So the dose can be different depending... I'm still trying to figure out a steady consumption rate tho so idk if this is for you...

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly tracking alk and then dosing the equal ca second part. Skipping a few ca tests tbh because its in range and I don't see how it can go out of whack using an equal part dose. Maybe I should test both equally (still learning) but when I do test Ca its always within range expected

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly tracking alk and then dosing the equal ca second part. Skipping a few ca tests tbh because its in range and I don't see how it can go out of whack using an equal part dose. Maybe I should test both equally (still learning) but when I do test Ca its always within range expected
Testing calcium much less often is fine. :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience using 2 part I’ve always dosed equal amounts of both
I rarely ever test cal but test Alk and dose 2 parts equally according to the Alk demand.
Using the calculator you might need to adjust the total volume to get it closer to accurate if you find values are higher or lower than tested

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want alk lower, dose less of both parts.Hello Mr Randy, I hope nobody minds if I jump into this thread as it would probably be easier to just ask here, I hope that's okay.
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I read your article about fusion 1 and fusion 2 and afterwards I think that's where some of my problems arose from. Anyways I'll keep this really short. Just received my ESV b-ionic to part today.

SG 1.025 refractometer
Calcium 410 Hanna
Dkh 6.6 Hannah
Magnesium was checked a day after a water change which was 3 days ago and it was 1520 Red Sea pro titration kit.

I'm trying to keep everything happy until my water box shows up. ETA is sometime in May. Calcium is okay but I'd like the dkh around 8.5 to 9

My wife dosed part 1 at recommended dosage at 2.5 ml and then added 2.5 mL of part 2. Is that okay?

I've always heard that when using two-part that you should always add equal amounts regardless if you calcium is high and your dkh is low, but then again it's so hard to filter out all the good from the bad so that's why I'm asking you and trusting your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing calcium much less often is fine. :)
I’ve found every calcium test kit at home to be very inconsistent, likely due to testing method. Therefore I rely on ICP testing every 2-3 months to get a calcium level and take action/inaction based off that, since the ESV is dosed equal parts alk/cal I don’t like to stray off of that since it also contains trace elements at certain ratios.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found every calcium test kit at home to be very inconsistent, likely due to testing method. Therefore I rely on ICP testing every 2-3 months to get a calcium level and take action/inaction based off that, since the ESV is dosed equal parts alk/cal I don’t like to stray off of that since it also contains trace elements at certain ratios.
Yes I agree about the test kits but I can actually test my salt mix and it is bang on accurate. We do the testing very accurately and always use the same water so there is no variance involved.

I want to argue the fact that if you give the same test kits to 10 people maybe three of them will get identical results over the others.

I do agree on an ICP test but in all honesty by the time they get your test done all your parameters have changed to a certain degree. People can bicker back and forth about this and that but the only thing they can agree on is to disagree LOL

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree about the test kits but I can actually test my salt mix and it is bang on accurate. We do the testing very accurately and always use the same water so there is no variance involved.

I want to argue the fact that if you give the same test kits to 10 people maybe three of them will get identical results over the others.

I do agree on an ICP test but in all honesty by the time they get your test done all your parameters have changed to a certain degree. People can bicker back and forth about this and that but the only thing they can agree on is to disagree LOL
Guess my point was, is that calcium is consumed at such a smaller rate, it’s probably difficult to even pick up on back to back days, for example. I would imagine some people see a 40 point drop and feel the need to correct it via adding calcium. I really test alk 2-3 times a week, PO4 and NO3 weekly, all with Hanna checkers. Everything else is done via ICP, and I get results within 7-8 days through Triton. If I do nothing different in the time I sent it out to the time I get results, the numbers I don’t test for (cal, mag) would not be wildly different in that time period. Certainly not bickering, and agree with what you said.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back