[HELP] First Timer Cycling Tank

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 55 Gallon Breeder, Fiji Pink Live sand, Dry rocks

So I am on day 13 of my cycle. On day 1 I added Dr. Tims One & Only & Pure Ammonia and waited 24 hrs and tested the water. I had Ammonia and Nitrites present. On day 12 my Ammonia & Nitrites went to 0. So yesterday I dosed more Ammonia to see if I would get the 24 hr conversion of Ammonia/Nitrites. This morning I did a water test and got these readings 7.8 pH, 1.0 Ammonia, 2.0 Nitrite, 40 Nitrates (guess cycle is not complete). So my question is do I just keep dosing Ammonia when it zero's out until I can dose Ammonia & have a 0 reading of Ammonia/Nitrite in a 24 hour period?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! :cool: And I’ve never did it that way but in theory that’s one way ! I’ve always taken a shrimp from the meat market and thrown it in the tank

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lloyd! I believe as long as your ammonia doesn't get over 5 you can keep dosing on schedule. That 24 hour period of nitrification (ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate) is what you want, ammonia dose one day, levels of ammonia/nitrites close to or 0 the following = good. Nitrates will be up but that is expected. I'm not sure on the routine if the ammonia stays up longer than expected, but Dr. Tim's website and YouTube videos are helpful as well.

How much sand & rock? Did you record your daily schedule for dosing/levels (to post here), etc? Also just to confirm, are you dosing based on water volume or tank volume? For example my 55 gallon has 33-34 gallons of water (the rest sand/rock), so I dose 132 drops each time (4 per gal), vs 220 drops (55x4).

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, yes I did keep notes on my day by day readings. I have about 40-45 lbs of rock & 40 lbs of sand. And I dosed using the volume of water not the tank. Would it be useful for me to post my day to day readings? Also I dosed using a teaspoon not using drops. Since they give 100 drops = 1 teaspoon on the Ammonia bottle.

View Badges
Way to fast, slow down, already got Dino's ,not good ,at all leave tank alone.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have Dinos. Relax. Diatom bloom is all you've seeing and it's a normal part of the "ugly" stage. Keep dosing bacteria. I like BioSpira, Stability and MicroBacter. All work well. MicroBacter "clean" combined with Stability has produced great results for me.

I would also recommend you invest in the right kind of UV light with the proper flow rate up front and just run it as part of your filtration system.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have Dinos. Relax. Diatom bloom is all you've seeing and it's a normal part of the "ugly" stage. Keep dosing bacteria. I like BioSpira, Stability and MicroBacter. All work well. MicroBacter "clean" combined with Stability has produced great results for me.

I would also recommend you invest in the right kind of UV light with the proper flow rate up front and just run it as part of your filtration system.
Currently running 2 CurrentUSA 1050 Powerheads & 2 CurrentUsa IC PRO lights

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 2 CurrentUSA 1050 Powerheads & 2 CurrentUsa IC PRO lights

UV light is a different type of light and you wouldn't want to expose anything you want healthy and living to it...

This will give you an idea...

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to add for the Dr. Tim's, he recommends higher temp, lower salinity to help the cycle. When I did mine, I ran temp 81 F and salinity 1.018, then reset to 78/1.023 with a water change before adding fish, once the cycle was complete.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to add for the Dr. Tim's, he recommends higher temp, lower salinity to help the cycle. When I did mine, I ran temp 81 F and salinity 1.018, then reset to 78/1.023 with a water change before adding fish, once the cycle was complete
I'll knock the temp up a bit. Would adding another bottle of the One & Only bacteria help/hurt anything?

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a pro, but he does say "it is not possible to overdose the bacteria"..

Think you should be fine with the filter, he only notes to turn off lights, filtration for the first 48 hours. I run my 55 (newly setup) with a protein skimmer and no sump (have done the same prior with success).

Maybe log your steps/measurements in the thread here for reference if you have time?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back