Help getting blue ribbon eel to eat

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue ribbon eel that I've hat for a week and I've tried feeding all kinda of frozen food plus live foods.
Any suggestions?

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What live foods have you tried? My friend has a couple for a few years already. He throws in a bunch of ghost shrimp and baitfish every month or so and the eels eat it at their leisure.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coworker of mine buys firefish. He buys about a dozen at a time. They last about a month.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that ribbon eels can take several weeks before they will feed. Be patient, and good luck!

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What live foods have you tried? My friend has a couple for a few years already. He throws in a bunch of ghost shrimp and baitfish every month or so and the eels eat it at their leisure.
I have tried gold fish and guppies. Will be trying rosy red minnows soon. Did he have any luck with the ghost shrimp? Also which are the baitfish? Never heard of them

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried gold fish and guppies. Will be trying rosy red minnows soon. Did he have any luck with the ghost shrimp? Also which are the baitfish? Never heard of them

Freshwater fish aren't part of their diet. Even if they start feeding on them they don't contain the nutrients the eel needs.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater fish aren't part of their diet. Even if they start feeding on them they don't contain the nutrients the eel needs.
This wouldn't be his full diet but have been using them just to try to get him feeding. As lots of threads that have had success have started with freshwater fish and helped convert to frozen food.

zoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
life saltwater small fish or shrimp a tight cover or you will have eel jerky. lust give it time

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Baitfish is just a general term for small fish people use for fishing. Silversides, mummichogs and banded killie fish are some. I live near the ocean so I just grab them myself and give him some. I also feed them to my fish. You might be able to get it at a fishing place if you live close enough to thr ocean or online. It eats both fish and ghost shrimp.

Freshwater fish isn't the best for the eel it is better then it starving. Try feeding with tongs and that will make it eaiser to transition it to frozen.

I never ordered from here but they have saltwater feeders.

http://www.mariculturetechnology.com/baitfish.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baitfish is just a general term for small fish people use for fishing. Silversides, mummichogs and banded killie fish are some. I live near the ocean so I just grab them myself and give him some. I also feed them to my fish. You might be able to get it at a fishing place if you live close enough to thr ocean or online. It eats both fish and ghost shrimp.

Freshwater fish isn't the best for the eel it is better then it starving. Try feeding with tongs and that will make it eaiser to transition it to frozen.

I never ordered from here but they have saltwater feeders.

http://www.mariculturetechnology.com/baitfish.htm
I have tried silversides and used some dead feeders. I also use the tongs. Would you recommend ghost shrimp?

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp will be fine. The important thing is to getting it to eat. After that you can wean it to whatever food you want.

I mean live silversides and bait fish. What size is your tank. Add 5-10 feeders and over time they should start to disappear. Make sure you have good hiding spots for the eel to make it feel comfortable.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp will be fine. The important thing is to getting it to eat. After that you can wean it to whatever food you want.

I mean live silversides and bait fish. What size is your tank. Add 5-10 feeders and over time they should start to disappear. Make sure you have good hiding spots for the eel to make it feel comfortable.

He is in a 50 gallon. And i have the PVC piping setup. I will try ghost shrimp. Should I just let those go in the tank or feed it with the tongs? From that baitfish website, which fish from there would u recommend trying?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: picked up some rosy reds and some ghost shrimp. What is the best way to feed them. Having a problem bc my trigger decided he loves to eat the live fish o_OAlso here's a photo

image.jpg

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I would recommend getting saltwater feeder shrimp and just adding them so he can hunt naturally at first. I would add them when the trigger is least active. Lights out I believe for them. Let him settle into the normal routine of captive life before attempting to tong train him.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I would recommend getting saltwater feeder shrimp and just adding them so he can hunt naturally at first. I would add them when the trigger is least active. Lights out I believe for them. Let him settle into the normal routine of captive life before attempting to tong train him.
Which saltwater feeder shrimp are you talking about?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recently. I haven't had a predator tank in years. I had no problems with them when I did though.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recently. I haven't had a predator tank in years. I had no problems with them when I did though.
How do you order from there. It doesn't have any options. Do you know if they ship to canada and how long it would take. Have u had experiences with the ribbon eel?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back