Help getting blue ribbon eel to eat

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using tongs to feed the eel. The thing that sucks with rosie reds, besides the nutritional value is that they don't survive long in freshwater. Get a container that only the eel can get into, you can cut a hole in a plastic container, and put the food in the container so the trigger can't get to it.

Do you live near the coast? Mollies acclimate to saltwater pretty well. If it doesn't eat the freshwater fish you can dump a bunch of mollies in there.

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they only ship in the US. I never had a ribbon eel. They were too expensive for me when I had the FOWLER. Then I moved to a reef with fish he would love to eat.

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using tongs to feed the eel. The thing that sucks with rosie reds, besides the nutritional value is that they don't survive long in freshwater. Get a container that only the eel can get into, you can cut a hole in a plastic container, and put the food in the container so the trigger can't get to it.

Do you live near the coast? Mollies acclimate to saltwater pretty well. If it doesn't eat the freshwater fish you can dump a bunch of mollies in there.
I have tried using the tongs and putting them in a net infront of him. He goes in there but doesn't seem to bite. Even when I did let them go in the tank he would follow them around but wouldn't bite. Don't know what's wrong. I have tried mollies but they are pretty expensive to supply and he doesn't seem interested any more then the other food I try and feed

OP
OP
Saltwaterfishy

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried more rosy reds tonight! Put one in the net. He put his head in there and bit one but didn't swallow.:( Looks like he's getting more interested

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good that he is showing interest. Keep trying he will eventually bite.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back