Help i dont know whats wrong.

Rickroockiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i started my tank about 2 months ago. Everything was fine until this happened. Three fish died, and two corals, but all water levels are fine. Also my rock is green and made my water green. Picture of before and pictures of after are tagged. Also do you suggest using live sand or gravel instead for the floor of the tank

E978EA49-CCCA-40FC-96DB-F46FCC0DC22D.jpeg
after

164AE9C9-2FB1-4334-B12A-0FE02B8CE14F.jpeg
before

8D4E9446-67D4-4B58-AC5B-BF6AE90E3B7A.jpeg

533D242B-99CE-41B1-828F-55775AB9B64D.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are the water parameters? Salinity? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? How are you measuting parameters? What fish died? Over how long of a period did they die? Any symptoms? What corals died?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and, how do you know tank was fully cycled before you started adding animals? May be experiencing a bacterial bloom in after picture.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is way to sterile, I am not sure why the water is cloudy but it looks like a bacterial bloom from here which would be due to not enough bacteria.
Or fish added too soon. Your fish do not appear to be healthy.
I would not add any more livestock until more bacteria grows. That may take a few months. I also would not feed anything until the water clears.

The clouding is actually good as it is bacteria growing, but they use oxygen and can kill the fish because of that. It will settle down and clear, but it takes time.
The green on the rocks is a good thing,

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are seeing a bacteria bloom. I highly recommend testing for ammonia and/or adding something like Prime to detoxify it. Bacteria is what converts deadly ammonia into less deadly nitrates.

OP
OP
R

Rickroockiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone suggested i use gravel instead of sand. That its easier to clean and maintain. What would you recommend.

OP
OP
R

Rickroockiereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im
What exactly are the water parameters? Salinity? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? How are you measuting parameters? What fish died? Over how long of a period did they die? Any symptoms? What corals died?
so im using a test kit i bought online. Everything matches with the color scales that were provided. Someone suggested i us a UV sterilizor. Would this be good for the tank

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im

so im using a test kit i bought online. Everything matches with the color scales that were provided. Someone suggested i us a UV sterilizor. Would this be good for the tank
UV is for pests, the bacteria bloom is likely part of a natural cycle for new tanks. UV inhibits that cycle. If you have no fish left,(?), don’t add any, just allow the cycle to proceed.
Add bacteria-in-a-bottle if you add something, I’m guessing your ammonia is elevated. Can you get a second opinion on your ammonia from a Lfs or buddy with a tank?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drop in an airstone near the bottom to help your little guys breathe.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add macro algae like chaetomorphia.

Is you pH low? I suspect it is.

PH is low with high carbon dioxide. So fish cannot expel the co2, and start breathing heavy. Macro algae will consume the co2 so that the highest co2 with macros is much lower than the same system with no macros.

if ammonia spikes (over feeding, fish dying, or whatever) the macros will consume that immediately breaking up the ammonia-nitrItes-nitrate cycles and possible tank crash.

The green is algae (white can be the start of algae or is cyano bacteria which is a bacteria with plant life also). Both will die out during a blackout. And bloom with too much lights. And both will not show up when macros are consuming the nutrients.

So bottom line to me is the balance out and stabilize the tank with macro algaes (best in a refugium which can be just a simple egg crate partition with added side lighting).

my .02

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back