HELP ID - BJD or something else?

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy easter everyone! For a couple days i’ve noticed 2 little brown spots on the tips of one of my chalices. This chalice was somewhat abused, didn’t know why he was doing so badly and then i saw my pistol shrimp come out and shoot him twice right in front of me. He’s not doing so hot, losing color and now has these brown tops. A hammer coral I have on the sandbed somewhat near him (chalice is up stream and has been bad before i moved the torch there) has some brown stuff on his stalk i noticed today. It is more hair like then what is on the chalice and moves in flow.

Can anyone help ID what this stuff is?

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8 dkh
po4 0.01
no3 1.8
mag 1380
cal 404

BC5766E6-ABFC-4252-9743-4FC381675357.jpeg 47826710-E89A-403F-8634-743DB9E955E9.jpeg

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll happily bump your thread. For the torch at least, I think that's just some algae growth. Might want to brush it off of the skeleton when you get the chance. The chalice looks rough, not gonna lie, but certainly not done for. Providing him somewhere safe from gun violence with lower lighting and hopefully he'll improve?

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy easter everyone! For a couple days i’ve noticed 2 little brown spots on the tips of one of my chalices. This chalice was somewhat abused, didn’t know why he was doing so badly and then i saw my pistol shrimp come out and shoot him twice right in front of me. He’s not doing so hot, losing color and now has these brown tops. A hammer coral I have on the sandbed somewhat near him (chalice is up stream and has been bad before i moved the torch there) has some brown stuff on his stalk i noticed today. It is more hair like then what is on the chalice and moves in flow.

Can anyone help ID what this stuff is?

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
Alk 8 dkh
po4 0.01
no3 1.8
mag 1380
cal 404

BC5766E6-ABFC-4252-9743-4FC381675357.jpeg 47826710-E89A-403F-8634-743DB9E955E9.jpeg
Sorry for the delayed reply, my suggestions would be to move the chalice away from the pistol shrimp’s hangout if possible. From the images, it seems like the flesh has pulled back off of the skeleton on those two parts. I would suggest a hydrogen peroxide dip for both corals if you are concerned. They can typically recover on their own with proper parameters, moderate light and moderate flow.

OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll happily bump your thread. For the torch at least, I think that's just some algae growth. Might want to brush it off of the skeleton when you get the chance. The chalice looks rough, not gonna lie, but certainly not done for. Providing him somewhere safe from gun violence with lower lighting and hopefully he'll improve?
Thank you, i will try to find a place with less light, chalice was on the sand bed before hand when he was getting shot but now that he’s on the rocks I think he has been moved to a safer neighborhood.

OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try an H202 dip when i get home and update. The chalice looked WAY worse this morning, overnight the torch (which is just sitting on the sand bed waiting to go into my other tank) had fallen right onto the chalice. Stung him up real good, this thing can not get a break. I feel terrible for it really but i’ll be amazed if it survives this. Had happened before with a Lord that recovered well but that lord was already in good health

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try an H202 dip when i get home and update. The chalice looked WAY worse this morning, overnight the torch (which is just sitting on the sand bed waiting to go into my other tank) had fallen right onto the chalice. Stung him up real good, this thing can not get a break. I feel terrible for it really but i’ll be amazed if it survives this. Had happened before with a Lord that recovered well but that lord was already in good health
Don’t stress too much, I’ve got a heavily stocked mixed reef, my chalices have had hammers and torches fall on them before to the point of holes melted right to the bare skeleton on several spots. Healed right back up within a week. Dose some seachem fuel. It works wonders for healing corals. And makes your tank smell like popcorn for a few hours!

OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t stress too much, I’ve got a heavily stocked mixed reef, my chalices have had hammers and torches fall on them before to the point of holes melted right to the bare skeleton on several spots. Healed right back up within a week. Dose some seachem fuel. It works wonders for healing corals. And makes your tank smell like popcorn for a few hours!
awesome that’s good to hear, is Seachem Fuel the similar to Red Sea’s AB+? Says “carbohydrate,vitamin,fatty acid, and amino acid supplement for corals“. In that tank i do dose 1.6ml AB+ once every other day right before lights out.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome that’s good to hear, is Seachem Fuel the similar to Red Sea’s AB+? Says “carbohydrate,vitamin,fatty acid, and amino acid supplement for corals“. In that tank i do dose 1.6ml AB+ once every other day right before lights out.
Yep more or less the same

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back