Help ID please!!

Topreefer92

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Messages
192
Reaction score
134
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So I noticed some very small patches of this brown alage on my rocks recently. My tank is a well established mixed reef around 100 gallons totally system volume. After my recent test this afternoon I am seeing phosphates at 0.05 and nitrates at .1 I have read over the amazing Dino thread and even contemplated getting a microscope to figure it out. Before I do that though I wanted to get the opinions of a few others as it seems to be minimal.

Only thing I have changed in the last 2 weeks is I have been doing Acropower for my acros at a half dose weekly. Also continuing to run my skimmer and maintain my water change schedule. Everything is happy and healthy.

Any help is much appreciated as I have a expensive frag pack of acros coming tomorrow in the mail.

20210818_142621.jpg 20210818_142745.jpg
 
what is "well established"? well over a year successful? to be honest looks like dino's (but could be algae).. in my experience... weird stuff sometimes happens.. I have a well established tank ( lol) that has had no issues and just saw a small patch of cyano in it... sometimes you just got to treat the issue in front of you.. good luck!
 
Yeah that is true I just have never had dinos in a tank before so I have been lucky. Well established meaning 3 plus years growing everything from acropora to mushrooms. I did start dosing acropower I am wondering if that is the culprit. I read another thread on here that some folks used that and they got cyano and all sorts of stuff.
 
yes.. I wish I could tell you to look for one culprit but there are so many.. not enough of X, too much of X, too quick a change in X... often i think it is too many nutrients (eg your acropower), or an imbalance in parameters..
 
Yeah it isn't going anywhere at night so I am slowly narrowing it down. I will cease the acropower and just let it runs its course. Just have to keep it away from my corals! :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 46 33.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new