OP
Deep Dive Aquatics

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks a ton better. Btw, flow is really important, I think you should adjust so that you can run your wave maker all of the time. Just adjust the intensity and you should be fine.
Yes you are right. Unfortunately I have bought three different wave makers already and they all just seem to be too strong. Even when I've angled them upward it's still too much (also nothing allowed me to go under 50% power constantly). I've definitely lost sleep about this already. I also used random flow generators previously but they weren't giving enough power to really cause the random flow I was needing and it was like a weak hose with slight variation. I just went back to the flare nozzles that came with my innovative marine 20 gallon since there wasn't room enough to fit two pumps in the back for each rfg nozzle. Any ideas on a dc controllable wave makers that can operate at 10-40 percent so that is isn't too strong for a smaller tank would be appreciated. Thank you!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are right. Unfortunately I have bought three different wave makers already and they all just seem to be too strong. Even when I've angled them upward it's still too much (also nothing allowed me to go under 50% power constantly). I've definitely lost sleep about this already. I also used random flow generators previously but they weren't giving enough power to really cause the random flow I was needing and it was like a weak hose with slight variation. I just went back to the flare nozzles that came with my innovative marine 20 gallon since there wasn't room enough to fit two pumps in the back for each rfg nozzle. Any ideas on a dc controllable wave makers that can operate at 10-40 percent so that is isn't too strong for a smaller tank would be appreciated. Thank you!
Have you tried to point them directly at a wall? It disperses the water when it hits the wall better.

OP
OP
Deep Dive Aquatics

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to point them directly at a wall? It disperses the water when it hits the wall better.
Honestly no. The one I have extra that could possibly do that would be pretty large and obtrusive and the jebao mini that I have doesn't angle at all. Im thinking one of the ones I ended up returning may have been a viable option but I'm going to really brainstorm. I have already considered a 3d printed anemone guard so im sure I can possibly make some sort of cone that would angle the flow right back to the glass. I'm going to have to search for something super small I can angle to avoid wasting time. Thanks again.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Your tank is small enough that you don't need a wave maker for the laminar flow. A Nero 3 has a broader stream and would be fine and is very controllable.

OP
OP
Deep Dive Aquatics

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is small enough that you don't need a wave maker for the laminar flow. A Nero 3 has a broader stream and would be fine and is very controllable.
Thank you. I have looked at that one in the past and I guess the price point was the only thing that held me back at the time. I do see that you can put the power way down as well as slightly angle it so ++. I looked at some reviews online and people are either in love or say it's trash which scares me although reviews can be very misleading. I did come across a reef builders review with Jake Adams which is still hard to watch for me but he seemed to think it was great. Do you run one personally and if so how bad is the hum people talk of because my tank is dead silent and I like it like that. Likely after treating everyone else for the holidays I might just treat myself to one.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do run one. I have a slightly larger footprint than you and have acros, so I have a Nero 3 on one side and a wave maker on the other. I also have the random flow generator return nozzles. One thing I learned later was that the RFG nozzles required a higher gph return to be effective. I saw that it required I think 675 gph on the return pump for a split neck RFG. I've debated going back to the flat bill return nozzles, but I guess the RFG ones are ok.

As for the Nero 3, mine is very silent. I run it max at 60%. People that complain about noise are probably running it at a much higher level, but you won't need that in a 20 gallon. I do run it higher at 80 in wave pulse mode at night, that does make more noise, but most of the day I just set it to random between 40-60% at high random changing frequency broken up with some time of pulse mode. It is blue tooth connectivity, so I think some people that complain just want a wifi version or I'd think mileage may vary based on what phone you have for finding Bluetooth devices. I've been very happy with mine for the year though.

OP
OP
Deep Dive Aquatics

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run one. I have a slightly larger footprint than you and have acros, so I have a Nero 3 on one side and a wave maker on the other. I also have the random flow generator return nozzles. One thing I learned later was that the RFG nozzles required a higher gph return to be effective. I saw that it required I think 675 gph on the return pump for a split neck RFG. I've debated going back to the flat bill return nozzles, but I guess the RFG ones are ok.

As for the Nero 3, mine is very silent. I run it max at 60%. People that complain about noise are probably running it at a much higher level, but you won't need that in a 20 gallon. I do run it higher at 80 in wave pulse mode at night, that does make more noise, but most of the day I just set it to random between 40-60% at high random changing frequency broken up with some time of pulse mode. It is blue tooth connectivity, so I think some people that complain just want a wifi version or I'd think mileage may vary based on what phone you have for finding Bluetooth devices. I've been very happy with mine for the year though.
Good to know. Thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back